Thread: One instrument to serve two octaves

Harley Marty

Default One instrument to serve two octaves

I started off on the tenor guitar a few years ago so whenever I tried Mandolin I found my fingers were too scrunched up so I ordered a special built 17" mahogany mandola & tuned it up to Mandolin. To get the high E I use d'addario pl.007. This works great for me. During the lockdown I got this idea of making one instrument that could be tuned Mandolin or Octave Mandolin & still sound ok. I figured that the .007's would be totally unreliable at an 18" stretch for the high Mandolin E, & that an Octave Mandolin low G would sound very ordinary below 18"s. The first thing for me is that it made sense to make it in a 4 string banjo format. I went with a 10" open back pot, I was confident that the .007 would play top E at 17.5". Then using then using the multi-scale or fan-fret approach I set the bottom string at 18.5" as this is about the shortest string length to get a decent sounding Octave Mandolin low G. When it all came together I put a set of Clifford Essex heavy Irish Tenor Banjo strings onto it. It sounded pretty good as an Octave Mandolin (tenor)Banjo & it is super comfortable to play. Then I put then I put on the .007 along with the top 3 strings from a set of Clifford Essex light Irish Tenor Banjo strings, so .007, .011, .016w & .026w. That also sounds good as a Banjo Mandolin in fact really good & just as comfortable to play. I'll probably keep it in Mandolin tuning for a while & it's great to know I can swap it down an Octave anytime I want.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harley Marty For This Useful Post:

Default Re: One instrument to serve two octaves

I applaud your willingness to experiment.

Sounds interesting and creative. Do you have any pictures to share?

Harley Marty

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Vierra View Post
    Sounds interesting and creative. Do you have any pictures to share?
    I added a photo of it to the - What's on my bench thread.

6. The following members say thank you to Harley Marty for this post: