Thread: Odd Gibson A4 on eBay

Default Odd Gibson A4 on eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125029403306

FON and SN both indicate 1920. Seller insists it's not refinished, but I insist that the seller is mistaken.

I'm curious about the pickguard. I thought the celluloid arm and through-bridge pin came from the mid-teens and were out of use by 1920. This would have to be an earlier pickguard used as a replacement, no?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

2. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Default Re: Odd Gibson A4 on eBay

Even more strange is, from what I can see, the absence of an ivoroid binding surrounding the back of the mandolin. Any one else?

Well, there's some rubbish in the description about "it was put away in the closet because of the binding falling off. it now has the correct vintage ivroid grained binding and the binding was then tinted with correct vintage style tinted nitrocellulose lacquer." But I believe you are right, the back doesn't appear to be bound at all, nor does it seem to have a channel cut for where the binding should be. Perhaps the reason it has no label is that the back was replaced?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Teacher, repair person

The factory order number indicates a construction date of 1920.

The pickguard with the curlicue is from 1915 or earlier.
    The bridge is from 1915 or later, and appears to be in rosewood. That would indicate that it probably came from a lower end model.
    I can't tell whether the back is unbound or whether it has tortoise binding. In either case, it didn't leave the factory that way.

The top finish and neck finish are non-original. The pictures are not sufficient quality to say anything for sure about the back and sides. I suggest the finish was re-done by Gibson.

Putting an early 'teens pickguard on a slightly later mandolin doesn't necessarily bother me. But because of the finish work and whatever is going on with the back, the instrument is worth much less than the seller is asking.
    Last edited by rcc56; Dec-02-2021 at 1:12am.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcc56 For This Useful Post:

Here's some photos. I agree that refinish looks like Gibson maybe 50s or 60s.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A-4.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	205.4 KB 
ID:	197889 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A-4back.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	264.5 KB 
ID:	197890
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post: