Thread: Mystery Electric Cittern

Default Mystery Electric Cittern

Hi all,

First post here. I seem to have wandered into this electric cittern and I can find no information about it whatsoever. It is an extremely well crafted instrument and I haven't been able to find a single mark on it to give me any provenance. The only two clues I have are the humbucking pickups are 1980's carvins (there is an acoustic pickup as well with its own dedicated output) and there was a rumor that it might have come from the Pacific Northwest. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dan

More pictures are possible if that would help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2109.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	492.7 KB 
ID:	197878

Default Re: Mystery Electric Cittern

Complete photos of headstock and back would help.

First guess is G.D. Armstrong.
    http://www.gdarmstrong.com/
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

i have a dim memory of seeing an instrument very much like this one at Guitarville in Shoreline, WA ... some 18 years ago or thereabouts.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Complete photos of headstock and back would help.

First guess is G.D. Armstrong.
    http://www.gdarmstrong.com/
    Hi and thanks. Here you go.

Name:	IMG_2691.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	435.7 KB 
ID:	197892

Name:	IMG_2688.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	541.6 KB 
ID:	197893

Name:	IMG_2690.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	555.2 KB 
ID:	197894

Have you looked under the truss rod cover and the electronics cavity cover? Some builders will hide a name, number or other info in there.

The guitar builders that are coming to mind are Parker and Klein, but this is not enough like either of those to suggest a direct connection. It seems like there's a builder of guitars or basses that does a crazy little wing like this one has, but I'm not coming up with a name.

If you Google "ergonomic guitars" you'll get lots of interesting stuff that looks vaguely like this. For example: https://www.manne.com/news/manne-gui...or-ergonomics/

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Have you looked under the truss rod cover and the electronics cavity cover? Some builders will hide a name, number or other info in there.

The guitar builders that are coming to mind are Parker and Klein, but this is not enough like either of those to suggest a direct connection. It seems like there's a builder of guitars or basses that does a crazy little wing like this one has, but I'm not coming up with a name.

If you Google "ergonomic guitars" you'll get lots of interesting stuff that looks vaguely like this. For example: https://www.manne.com/news/manne-gui...or-ergonomics/
    Unfortunately I've been through the entire thing and there is nary a clue. The picture you included reminded me to check on my weird instrument forums and see if any of the builders there have any ideas.

Well, I did send a message to the chap who used to run Guitarville to see if he remembers anything.