Thread: Eastman 305 vs Kentucky KM 250, improver reviews

Default Eastman 305 vs Kentucky KM 250, improver reviews

Hi: thought I might post some first thoughts on a comparison between these two mandolins. They're pretty direct competitors for the 'first decent mandolin' rosette, so a lot of mando beginners/improvers like myself will be comparing them as possible buys. I now have one of each - I live between two houses, so that's one for each address so I don't need to lug one about like I was doing. Although I'm a beginner mando player, I've played a selection of other instruments including violin/fiddle for many years, and always taken an interest in getting the best sound I can afford. So far as I know, these two are both Chinese made, all solid carved wood A style f hole mandolins, strung with the same standard D'Addario phosphor bronze 10-40s.

Appearance: Eastman had gone for the 'funky' look with plain woods and low gloss thin looking brown finish, front edge binding only. Kentucky looks more mainstream, with full body and fingerboard binding, and (on mine at least) a small bit of flame to the back wood, and a glossy brown/yellow sunburst finish which thankfully doesn't look glassy thick. Both look good, but quite different.

Fittings: the Kentucky is marginally ahead here. Mine looks to have a really well fitted bridge straight out of the box, and smooth tuners that work OK. The Eastman had so- so bridge fitting and horrible stiff tuners that need replaced just as soon as you can afford it. On the other hand, Eastman has a nice cast tailpiece, while the Kentucky sports a thin stamped metal variety. You can change strings on the Eastman without having to remove a tailpiece cover. Kentucky is ahead for me on frets - the Eastman has low thin ones that appear to be wearing quickly (important for someone like me who doesn't yet always fret accurately). The Kentucky feels a little lighter, both are well balanced.

Playing and sound: Ah - this is what this pair are all about. I love them both, but they're different. Both appear to give about as much sound per $ as you can get, but at my early stage of playing it feels like the Eastman has a great folksy dry woody sound with more pop cut and 'ping', while Kentucky has maybe a more rounded mainstream sound with more sweet middle tones, that may suit more styles. I can't quite imagine playing classical on the Eastman, but it's just the thing for folky styles .

To me, the Kentucky feels easier to play. The neck may be about 1/16" wider than the Eastman and marginally deeper, but it's definitely less V shaped and more rounded. Hammer ons and pull offs appear to be easier on Kentucky, I suspect due to the bigger frets and different response. They both claim radiused boards, no great difference there except the Eastman's unbound board comes blacker and smoother. The Kentucky claims to have a 14th fret body join, Eastman 12, but I think Eastman may measure that from the neck heel and Kentucky from the neck/body join - they feel very similar to me.

So which is best? I really couldn't say one of these is better than the other. The Eastman may ultimately reward more effort with more character, but you may not want that. The Kentucky will save you having to replace the tuners fairly quickly, and you may find it easier to play - or not. Both are great value, and I think both are also available in the A body oval sound hole style (with different model numbers). Both came well set up without major surgery by the shop. I suspect one of those four mandolins (Kentucky or Eastman, f or oval hole) will suit just about anyone looking for great value in a mandolin!
    Last edited by maxr; Nov-29-2021 at 10:45am.

Default Re: Eastman 305 vs Kentucky KM 250, improver reviews

This is a well thought out review. I have an Eastman 305, and agree with the review for it. I did replace the tuners with Grovers which solved that issue. Can't comment of the Kentucky (don't have one). However, I do recommend the Eastman for the beginner/intermediate player looking for a good basic instrument. In my opinion they are well made from quality materials, and sound and play great.

Thanks for the review.
    Richard

Eastman 305
    Gibson A1 (1919)
    Martin D16 guitar
    Great Divide Guitar (Two-Old-Hippies)
    OME 11" banjo (1973)
    Pisgah 12" banjo

I have owned a Kentucky 272 (oval hole version of the 250) and an Eastman 305. My 305 had no tuner issues so no change out needed. Otherwise I think maxr did a great job on the overall review. My preference of the two was the Eastman, I liked the satin neck finish better than the gloss. I found it easier to play. Both were excellently set up, so there were no issues there. Just goes to show preferences differ person to person. YMMV.
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Scott View Post
    I have owned a Kentucky 272 (oval hole version of the 250)...
    Do you think the oval hole Kentucky 272 sounds different from the f hole 250 etc., Mike?