Thread: Lyon & Healy model A - appreciated more every day

Default Lyon & Healy model A - appreciated more every day

My 1925 Lyon & Healy model A with TI flat wound strings is SUCH a glorious instrument for classical. Sometimes I just feel the urge to yak about how much joy it brings me. Every note, for my taste, is glorious to hear and feel. I think each time I pick it up, I get more bonded to it. In 4 years it will be 100 years old yet it is in beautiful, beautiful condition. It is such a tribute to the artistry of those who designed and built these mandolins. LOL only on the Cafe can a person yammer on about this stuff and people will get it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A847707C-1D46-4E8D-B862-8F06A2475EF6.jpeg 
Views:	123 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	197806

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tim Logan For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Lyon & Healy model A - appreciated more every day

I agree, Tim! I picked up a 1918 Style B in January, and it makes me happy every time I open the case.

4. The following members say thank you to Louise NM for this post:

That is a beautiful mandolin!

6. The following members say thank you to MandoMan1 for this post:

Blog Entries

Well, I'll complete the set -- I really REALLY like my L&H Model C, especially with the TI mittels Louise recommended.

But I admit, I do ogle the B's and A's.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

8. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

Hank - although I don't know for sure, I've always assumed that the A, B, and C models were structurally the same with only cosmetic differences. I've assumed the three styles sound and play the same - although each individual instrument would of course have its own unique sound.
    I truly wish I could "time travel" back to the 1920's and take a factory tour. My impression is that most of the craftsman were originally violin makers (not sure where I read that). I wonder if they were built on an "assembly line" (manually moved from one workbench to the next) or if one mandolin was built by one luthier from start to finish. I assume the former. Regardless, as many modern luthiers would say (think Peter Coombe) - those folks really knew their stuff!
    Last edited by Tim Logan; Nov-29-2021 at 12:32pm.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Blog Entries

Yes. I had one on my wishlist for many years and so when one popped up I was on it like white on rice. https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/a...chmentid=79165

I found it on the cafe classifieds, and turns out I was the first to contact the guy, only minutes after he had posted his ad.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

11. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

I think mine is in the same era as yours, Tim. I will take mine out today and play it—it's been way too long. It's a later short-scale A pro labelled Washburn (not Lyon & Healy). Also, funny is that my friend owned it for many years and I was trying to sell it for him and then he convinced me to buy it from him and luckily I had the cash at the time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	washburn_ftbk.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	430.4 KB 
ID:	197891
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

13. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Hi Jim - I play mine daily. I actually play all three of my mandolins throughout each week but I seem to favor the L&H. Somehow I got lucky with the three instruments I own. Each is a joy. Kinda' put a damper on the MAS thing LOL!

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)