Thread: Lyon & Healy model A - appreciated more every day

Default Lyon & Healy model A - appreciated more every day

My 1925 Lyon & Healy model A with TI flat wound strings is SUCH a glorious instrument for classical. Sometimes I just feel the urge to yak about how much joy it brings me. Every note, for my taste, is glorious to hear and feel. I think each time I pick it up, I get more bonded to it. In 4 years it will be 100 years old yet it is in beautiful, beautiful condition. It is such a tribute to the artistry of those who designed and built these mandolins. LOL only on the Cafe can a person yammer on about this stuff and people will get it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A847707C-1D46-4E8D-B862-8F06A2475EF6.jpeg 
Views:	71 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	197806

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)
    2020 Burgin Shanghai Octave Mandolin

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tim Logan For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Lyon & Healy model A - appreciated more every day

I agree, Tim! I picked up a 1918 Style B in January, and it makes me happy every time I open the case.

4. The following members say thank you to Louise NM for this post:

That is a beautiful mandolin!

6. The following members say thank you to MandoMan1 for this post:

Blog Entries

Well, I'll complete the set -- I really REALLY like my L&H Model C, especially with the TI mittels Louise recommended.

But I admit, I do ogle the B's and A's.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

8. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

Hank - although I don't know for sure, I've always assumed that the A, B, and C models were structurally the same with only cosmetic differences. I've assumed the three styles sound and play the same - although each individual instrument would of course have its own unique sound.
    I truly wish I could "time travel" back to the 1920's and take a factory tour. My impression is that most of the craftsman were originally violin makers (not sure where I read that). I wonder if they were built on an "assembly line" (manually moved from one workbench to the next) or if one mandolin was built by one luthier from start to finish. I assume the former. Regardless, as many modern luthiers would say (think Peter Coombe) - those folks really knew their stuff!
    Last edited by Tim Logan; Nov-29-2021 at 12:32pm.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Blog Entries

Yes. I had one on my wishlist for many years and so when one popped up I was on it like white on rice. https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/a...chmentid=79165

I found it on the cafe classifieds, and turns out I was the first to contact the guy, only minutes after he had posted his ad.
    Life is short, play hard. Life is really really short, play really really hard.

The entire staff
    funny....

11. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

I think mine is in the same era as yours, Tim. I will take mine out today and play it—it's been way too long. It's a later short-scale A pro labelled Washburn (not Lyon & Healy). Also, funny is that my friend owned it for many years and I was trying to sell it for him and then he convinced me to buy it from him and luckily I had the cash at the time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	washburn_ftbk.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	430.4 KB 
ID:	197891
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    2018 Campanella A-5 -- 2007 Brentrup A4C -- 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin -- Huss & Dalton DS -- 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead -- '83 Flatiron A5-2 -- 1939 Gibson L-00 -- 1936 Epiphone Deluxe -- 1928 Gibson L-5 -- ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo -- ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo -- ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo -- National RM-1

13. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Hi Jim - I play mine daily. I actually play all three of my mandolins throughout each week but I seem to favor the L&H. Somehow I got lucky with the three instruments I own. Each is a joy. Kinda' put a damper on the MAS thing LOL!

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)