Thread: Easiest to Use Looper?

Default Easiest to Use Looper?

Folks,
    I'm a bit of an idiot regarding technology. I want a looper for practicing with. What's the simplest one to use? Mostly going to be using for practicing. But if the cost isn't much more I would love one I could use live. If I did, I would not need a bunch of tracks able to be saved.

Default Re: Easiest to Use Looper?

the trick with loopers is timing on your part , it will make you a better player for sure

3. The following members say thank you to kjbllc for this post:

TC Electronics Ditto looper works fine once you get the timing of the start of the loop down. Is on a drastic sale at Sweetwater (as well as the "other" place) right now. Very easy to use. TC has some videos on it.

I have a Ditto as well and I find it very easy to use.

The Ditto is my backup looper. I've done a solo guitar act for some years now based on a looping pedal.

I prefer a 2-pedal loop pedal for live use. I'm still using my old Boss.

The 2 pedal looper makes it easier to use live. The Ditto is quite good, but you have to get used to using the single switch to do several functions.

Is the Ditto sound quality good, guys? I haven't had anything to do with this kind of device since I owned a Watkins Copycat (mechanical tape loop echo machine)

Quote Originally Posted by maxr View Post
    Is the Ditto sound quality good, guys? I haven't had anything to do with this kind of device since I owned a Watkins Copycat (mechanical tape loop echo machine)
    It's pretty decent sound quality for a small inexpensive pedal.

9. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

maxr 

A huge thing to understand about looper pedals is there are two different circuits that most of the pedal companies use. One is what you'll find in the ditto and Electro harmonics type: engage the button, play your loop, step on button again and it turns off but repeats the loop. I find those very easy to use and learn and get your timing issues worked out.

The second circuit is most commonly found on the Boss pedals. Step on button to engage and record, then you have to double click the button to turn it off and play over. I find those maddeningly frustrating to get the timing worked out and have sold every one I owned.

Something simple like the Ditto 1 or the EHX 360 are great to start with. You can always upgrade later, but for starting you want to get a solid, easy to use foundation that is not over run with too much information.

While I'm not a fan for live use, adding a looper pedal for practice is like supercharging your playing skills in a very short time period.
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

11. The following members say thank you to j. condino for this post:

Can anyone tell me what I would need to take a saved loop from the EHX 360 and transfer it to my laptop, with the eventual goal of using it as my personal ringtone?
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by j. condino View Post
    A huge thing to understand about looper pedals is there are two different circuits that most of the pedal companies use. One is what you'll find in the ditto and Electro harmonics type: engage the button, play your loop, step on button again and it turns off but repeats the loop. I find those very easy to use and learn and get your timing issues worked out.

The second circuit is most commonly found on the Boss pedals. Step on button to engage and record, then you have to double click the button to turn it off and play over. I find those maddeningly frustrating to get the timing worked out and have sold every one I owned.
    Actually the BOSS I use is a 2 pedal looper and does NOT require 2 steps to end and replay the loop.

My Ditto requires the double-step to stop playing the loop.

Both require a long holding step to clear the loop.

I played a live TV benefit some years ago - I used the Boss loop pedal, and during the guitar solos I'm playing over the backing track I record while singing.

And I use it LIVE, to record backing chord tracks then I solo over it, usually all on guitar.

Here's a tune from a live jazz gig, also using the Boss looper as backing track, all live.

Last edited by DavidKOS; Dec-01-2021 at 7:57am.