Thread: Brekke Bridge

Default Brekke Bridge

I grew dissatisfied with the stock bridge on my 1929 Martin Style 20 mandolin because of its lack of adjustability (it’s a one piece, two footed design) and I hope another bridge might mellow out the harsh high end tone of the mandolin. So I contacted Vern Brekke who said that he thought he could help me. So I sent measurements and a photo of the current set up. Vern then sent me a bridge he hoped would fulfill my needs. He didn’t ask for payment until I could execute a successful installation.

The arch on the Style 20 is more acute than most. The fitting of the Brekke took considerable time since the foot is full contact and it needed a lot of reshaping. But I finally got there. It barely had enough meat in the middle of the foot because of the bridge design.

I got the mandolin strung up and I like the results so far. It is easily adjustable with the supplied Allen wrench. The tone is woodier and more pleasant overall. It remains articulate and clear but is much better behaved overall. I had formerly judged the tone of my Eastman MD-904D superior overall to the Martin. Now I feel prefer the tone of the Martin.
    Last edited by George Henry; Apr-09-2023 at 9:27pm.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to George Henry For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Brekke Bridge

Lots of you all have read this; none have responded. After several days, I can hardly believe the difference tonally. Formerly it would break up and get brittle under hard picking. Now it never breaks up no matter how aggressive things. What other bridge could affect such a positive outcome?

Does the bridge incorporate the Red Henry holes in the top piece? I seem to recall that he started incorporating that modification recently.
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

I really like the Brekke bridge design. And am not surprised that it helped that Martin. Have only played one arched top Martin mandolin and was disappointed. Wondering now if a different bridge might have helped.

Glad you were willing to do this and that it has improved the tone.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

A good discussion of both the Brekke and Henry mandolin bridges by mandolin maker Peter Coombe.

https://www.petercoombe.com/publications/jaamim4.htm

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to George Henry For This Useful Post:

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by George Henry View Post
    Lots of you all have read this; none have responded. ...
    Okay, as of now, Saturday AM, it's still "few". But maybe that's because its been unclear whether this is about the original Brekke design (with the side Allen bolts, and which I rather liked the few times I've played one) of the later "Traditional" Brekke design, that more closely approximates the Gibson/Loar style of thumbwheel adjustment. Seeing as how you just posted the Peter Coombe aricle, I suspect it's the original Brekke design.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

I was limited by the short height available on the Martin mandolin (about 6/10”). I called Vern Brekke and he sent me what he thought would work within these limitations. It turned out be one as in the Coombe article. Even so, it took a LOT of sanding to get the fit right. I ended up with a full contact fit. I was fortunate that Vern was so accommodating to my particular needs.

10. The following members say thank you to George Henry for this post:

I have brekke bridges on both my mandolins. One an archtop, one a flat top. They work well, are easily adjustable and am very happy with them.