Thread: Kentucky K1000 Master Model need help with serial number

Default Kentucky K1000 Master Model need help with serial number

He everyone, I am looking to buy this Kentucky K1000 Master model but I can not find where it was made and when. There is no China, Korea or Japan on the the inside label? Serial number looks like 080/0166

I would appreciate if you can help me...thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kentuc 3.jpeg 
Views:	121 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	197621   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kentuc 1.jpeg 
Views:	148 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	197622   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kentuc 2.jpeg 
Views:	102 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	197623  

Last edited by PatLong; Nov-17-2021 at 8:51pm.

Default Re: Kentucky K1000 Master Model need help with serial number

You might try to contact Saga Instruments directly. They should be able to tell you a date or at least get close.

I have one of these and called SAGA to get info. From what I learned about serial numbers it looks like yours was made in August of 2001, 0801, and was the 166 instrument made that year, 0166, hence the entire number 08010166. As far as where it was made, SAGA should be able to provide that info. I hope this is helpful.

4. The following members say thank you to Joe Parker for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Parker View Post
    I have one of these and called SAGA to get info. From what I learned about serial numbers it looks like yours was made in August of 2001, 0801, and was the 166 instrument made that year, 0166, hence the entire number 08010166. As far as where it was made, SAGA should be able to provide that info. I hope this is helpful.
    Make sense, thanks. But I will contact SAGA. The guy is asking $1,300? You think it is a good deal ?

I think the used price range for these is in the $1100 - $1500 depending on condition. The one in the picture looks like it's been played a lot and has the player rash on the top to show for it. It looks like it's been refretted with larger frets so you might want to ask what other work, if any , has been done and who did the work. Ask if the bridge is original and if there is any bow in the saddle. Any cracks or sinking in the top? Are the tuning machines in good working order? Does it include the original hardshell case? Can the seller provide a sound clip or video? If the neck is straight and everything is in good shape then it's between you and the seller to negotiate the price and agree on the terms of sale and whether or not you will have an approval period to check it out before the deal is final. The Kentucky KM1000 is a great mandolin for the price, in my opinion, and they are pretty consistent in terms of sound and playability but it pays to ask the right questions before you buy. Good luck!

I think the used price range for these is in the $1100 - $1500 depending on condition. The one in the picture looks like it's been played a lot and has the player rash on the top to show for it. It looks like it's been refretted with larger frets so you might want to ask what other work, if any , has been done and who did the work. Ask if the bridge is original and if there is any bow in the saddle. Any cracks or sinking in the top? Are the tuning machines in good working order? Does it include the original hardshell case? Can the seller provide a sound clip or video? If the neck is straight and everything is in good shape then it's between you and the seller to negotiate the price and agree on the terms of sale and whether or not you will have an approval period to check it out before the deal is final. The Kentucky KM1000 is a great mandolin for the price, in my opinion, and they are pretty consistent in terms of sound and playability but it pays to ask the right questions before you buy. Good luck!
    You made a great assessment and pointed some interesting cue. I will take all of this in consideration and talk with the seller and see what the outcome will be.

Thanks so much!!

Greetings PatLong, I have never seen a Japanese mfg. KM-1000 with "The Kentucky" inlaid to the headstock. All I have seen are "Kentucky". Also the color of the finish is different than the Japanese examples I have seen.

To broaden the subject a bit, I wonder if they have changed their system. My newish KM950 has a serial number 20010169. But there is no 20th month and I'm sure it was made more recently, not in 2001.

Anyone know?
    Cary Fagan

Quote Originally Posted by tryingtopick View Post
    Greetings PatLong, I have never seen a Japanese mfg. KM-1000 with "The Kentucky" inlaid to the headstock. All I have seen are "Kentucky". Also the color of the finish is different than the Japanese examples I have seen.
    Here is a picture form the back.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K1000 back.jpeg 
Views:	73 
Size:	237.0 KB 
ID:	197645

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Fagan View Post
    To broaden the subject a bit, I wonder if they have changed their system. My newish KM950 has a serial number 20010169. But there is no 20th month and I'm sure it was made more recently, not in 2001.

Anyone know?
    There was no system. I think they used to just write whatever number they felt like on the label. Seriously, it's impossible for anyone not at Saga to tell the year from the serial number and I'm not sure even they always can. They might have changed that in recent years. That said, I'm guessing this one was made in Korea, based on the color and something about the way it looks. I had an '84 KM-1000 that was a cannon but they've been made in several different places by many different people, so it's hard to say one from 2001 is as good as one from 2021 or 1984 without playing it.

Hi Joe here the return I've got from SAGA.

"From the serial number sequence, it appears your mandolin was manufactured in 2008. ! Indeed...I was correct. Beautiful. You indeed are fortunate and I am sure it sounds great. Nice top wood... I like how the grain near the edges gets a bit wider... tha Adirondack can really move... yet still be strong. ANd that Back - Flat sawn and still quite flammy... Just great. Nice color too.

I wish you many more years of joy!

Most kindly, Saga"

Hi Joe here the return I've got from SAGA.

"From the serial number sequence, it appears your mandolin was manufactured in 2008. ! Indeed...I was correct. Beautiful. You indeed are fortunate and I am sure it sounds great. Nice top wood... I like how the grain near the edges gets a bit wider... tha Adirondack can really move... yet still be strong. ANd that Back - Flat sawn and still quite flammy... Just great. Nice color too.

I wish you many more years of joy!

Most kindly, Saga"

So much for my guess about where it was made. Lol. I'm glad they could clear it up for you. Are you buying it?

"Flammy?" Guess they mean "flame-y" or something similar...?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by Eric F. View Post
    So much for my guess about where it was made. Lol. I'm glad they could clear it up for you. Are you buying it?
    I love doing search about instrument where it comes from, when they were made and by whom etc. Yes I finally bought at a good price in Canadian dollars the equivalent of 950 USD.

17. The following members say thank you to PatLong for this post:

Good price. I passed on one very similar at a festival here in early 2019. In fact, first thought it was the same instrument. The one I played had a great sound. Bet this one will too.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F22964A1-E118-45C1-B54B-B1F4C4796148.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	478.1 KB 
ID:	197659Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04194A27-7766-4148-B35B-DBEBA3303DB4.jpg 
Size:	652.6 KB 
ID:	197658Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7B8D06B1-9DB5-441D-BACE-B9D838D10ADA.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	377.2 KB 
ID:	197657 PatLong, I see now that my info was incorrect and I apologize for the confusion. I had the month and year reversed. I looked at my KM1000 for confirmation, which I should have done to begin with, and discovered my error. Mine is #12040701 which translates to April 2012 I’m guessing based on your reply from Saga. Again, my apologies. I bought mine a few years ago in used condition as well and called Saga to get info.
    Last edited by Joe Parker; Nov-20-2021 at 12:08pm.

Congrats, i think you just scored a pro level instrument you can play happily for the rest of your life at a great price. I've had a few Kentucky's, I'm a big fan (Goldstar banjo too, i really like Saga's stuff)
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

ID:	197657 PatLong, I see now that my info was incorrect and I apologize for the confusion. I had the month and year reversed. I looked at my KM1000 for confirmation, which I should have done to begin with, and discovered my error. Mine is #12040701 which translates to April 2012 I’m guessing based on your reply from Saga. Again, my apologies. I bought mine a few years ago in used condition as well and called Saga to get info.
    Correct, I see now, same label inside and the first 2 numbers equal to the production year and the next 2 represent the month when your mandolin has been produced......

As I am always a little suspicious from serial number interpretation I have looked at Reverb and browsed all Kentucky mandolin from the NEW section. I looked at the serial number on the label and they all started from 1906XXX-2008XXX-2101XXX etc. So the person from Saga seem to be right on is serial number interpretation.

Great stuff!

Will see how it sound like when I get it tomorrow.....I am like a kid waiting for new "toy" getting deliver by the UPS SantaClaus ha ha ha !!

Cary, I would guess 2000 of the month of January, mandolin number 169 in sequence.

Have a good playing !!

Nice, very nice looking Kentucky!! Question, how it feels to play with a pick guard ?

[QUOTE=PatLong;1844766]Nice, very nice looking Kentucky!! Question, how it feels to play with a pick guard ?[/QUOTE

They just work better for my right hand playing position. I switched after years of playing with out one and never went back. I don't think they hamper the sound in any way.