Thread: Recommendations For Headphones?

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Recommendations For Headphones?

I'm gearing up for doing some recording, and also finishing up another project. Need some headphones to plug into my Focusrite interface.

A friend suggested Audio-Technica ATH-M30X Closed-Back Monitor Headphones, at Sweetwater for $69. I see B&H has them for $58.20, with free 2-day shipping. My eyes glaze over and my brain goes numb when I do comparison shopping; the multitudes of choices overwhelm me.

Recommendations? They have to have a 1/4" plug. These have a micro plug, but include an adapter.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Default Re: Recommendations For Headphones?

I've used these for years. The plastic covering on the headpiece shreds after a while, though. Comes with a 1/4" adaptor.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ack-headphones

D.H.

3. The following members say thank you to Dave Hicks for this post:

For recording, any closed back phones with impedance =< 80Ω are generally going to be fine with any basic interface. You can spend a little or a lot, but specifically for *tracking* all you need is something that lets you hear yourself well enough without bleeding into the space around you so it gets picked up in the microphone.

I started with a pair of old (MIJ) Sony MDR-V6s, and those and the similar 7506 model are still ones I'd recommend. (I don't use them for tracking anymore but still like them for general listening, but only because I'm out of jacks in the headphone amp!) Currently plugged in are Beyer-Dynamic DT770 ($$) and Sennheiser HD280 (~$100), but all closed back ones will generally work for tracking. For mixing, they can be a little colored, but most folks prefer semi-open for that task.

Here's a bunch of closed back ones in the $50-$100 range. Pick a set and start recording is my recommendation.

https://www.sweetwater.com/c412--Clo...RvICQxMDAiXX19

p.s. (edit): I would avoid anything that suggests it's "DJ" use oriented!
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keith.rogers For This Useful Post:

I always drop and break expensive headphones, so I have taken to buying these $35 ones from OneOdio, and they are perfectly adequate. They also have the nice feature of not needing an adapter to solve the 3.5mm/6.35mm jack issue. They do claim to be DJ oriented, but what does that even mean? I have no idea.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6ZJH96

7. The following members say thank you to OldSausage for this post:

Mine are AKG 371. Comfort for a long session is important.

Impedance matching with headphones is a variable worth checking to insure proper output volume levels. Julian Krause has some YouTube videos about it.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

9. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

Blog Entries

Thanks guys! Anyway I can narrow down the search is a plus. Interesting to learn microphone companies make headphones. I guess there's a lot of crossover in the tech and mfg. I'm tempted to just go to Radio Shack and get a micro-1/4" adapter for my crappy spare headphones to tide me over for this project, and get something nicer for The Big One. I thought there was one in the Focusrite accesories but no-o-o ...

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    For recording, any closed back phones with impedance =< 80Ω are generally going to be fine with any basic interface. You can spend a little or a lot, but specifically for *tracking* all you need is something that lets you hear yourself well enough without bleeding into the space around you so it gets picked up in the microphone.
    Agree with what Keith says. If you are just using them for tracking, really all you need is something to hear yourself and a decent seal around the ears.

BUT, if you are going to use them to review your tracks, monitor while mixing, or check your mix, you will want something better. Again, Keith's suggestion of the Sony MDR7506 is a good one. They are kind of a standard, and although they are a bit more than the $69 you are looking at, they are worth the price bump in my opinion.
    Kit
    Guitars, Mandos, Violins, Dulcimers, Cats

12. The following members say thank you to TheMandoKit for this post:

I agree with some of the other comments here. The Sony MDR7506 are great headphones. I've used quite a few others in different studios, but I've never found anything worth the extra cost over the 7506's.

I use them for tracking, and most of my mixing when I'm on the go. They are a little more expensive, but they're really worth it. They are considered the "studio standard" for a reason.

They also last a long time. My first pair is going on 7 years old, and they still work like new.

14. The following members say thank you to JFMando for this post:

I have the ATH-908's from Audio Technica. I think they go for around $70. Extremely comfortable, and they have a very long cord, which comes in handy. They sound good too.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

16. The following members say thank you to jaycat for this post:

Speaking of cords! I've come to prefer straight cords, especially if you have more than one pair plugged in - maybe not so much for just a single pair. (When you go to sit down with a bud and record something, and the headphone cables are a tangled mess, you'll understand why coiled ones can be problematic.)

The link I posted actually allows you to filter on the cord type, in case it's important.

18. The following members say thank you to keith.rogers for this post:

Samson SR850. Been using these for on-line jams and they seem to work fine. They have an adapter for 1/4" jack. Nothing earth shattering in the sound department. So far have seemed reliable. For the price, am quite satisfied.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Blog Entries

Thanks, everyone. I'm leaning toward the Sonys. They're not much more expensive, and I have a long and happy history with Sony.

Does that get me an endorsement deal?

Blog Entries

Yep, pulled the trigger on a Sony. Found it on eBay, used but in good condition, and after all is said and done, for a bit less than the AT, including shipping.

Many thanks to the MCHM. (That's the Mandolin Café Hive Mind, dontcha know.)

Another Sony MDR 7506 user here for decades. In the previous century, they were a staple in studios. Unfortunately, the ear pads are terrible (come on Sony!) but there are nice after market replacements available on Amazon.

23. The following members say thank you to Rob Roy for this post:

Blog Entries

I see that. I've also seen a lot of people saying these are excellent. I'm not too concerned, as I don't plan on using them a whole lot, until I get going on the big project. Even then, I may end up doing it mostly in a studio. I'll still be practicing and tweaking tracks at home, so ... but thanks. Alway good to hear from people with direct experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Roy View Post
    Another Sony MDR 7506 user here for decades. In the previous century, they were a staple in studios. Unfortunately, the ear pads are terrible (come on Sony!) but there are nice after market replacements available on Amazon.
    I wouldn't call them "terrible" but they have a limited lifetime. It's some sort of thin "pleather" IIRC and that has the advantage of being relatively pliable (good seal) that can be easily cleaned and reasonably comfortable. BUT, they don't last. Maybe 5 years - seems like my originals (again, old MIJ V6s I still have) lasted longer than the first (OEM) replacements. But, I got a velour set probably 15, at least 10+, years ago and, SJ, they are so comfy and not hot I will keep these things until they quit working, which seems to be heading toward "lifetime" for me...

Anyway, when you need replacements, go velour, IMHO.

26. The following members say thank you to keith.rogers for this post:

Blog Entries

Thanks to the Mandolin Café Hive Mind! The Sony just arrived an hour ago - a day early, even - and it works great. Amazing really. The noise-canceling is so strong I had to turn my computer's output volume to 9% so I could hear the mandolin while I practiced. And I could hear the track so clearly. Lawdy, it's such a joy to have good equipment. I've gotten by for so long on just getting by. These are an enormous step up from everything I've ever used put together. Thanks, everyone!

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

I don't know the model. I do know:

- Closed-back will give you getter isolation. That's an advantage. The disadvantage is that you won't know if you have a phone call or someone's a the door.

- Detachable cables are a big plus. Headphone cables wear out in just a few years, and it you can't pull the old one out and pop in a new one, you'll be stuck having to buy new headphones every time your cable wears out.

Oops. You got it already. Never mind!
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)