Thread: Raccoon In The Attic (jig)

Default Raccoon In The Attic (jig)

I thought I'd look up a little back history for this jig and learned nothing other than another way to tell if you have raccoons in the attic is to look—or sniff—for scat. Raccoons will use one area of your attic as a latrine, rather than leave feces all over the place.

So there ya go!

TABS available at my website.

2. The following members say thank you to pluckinstrings for this post:

ajh 

Default Re: Raccoon In The Attic (jig)

Yes and raccoon scat is very infectious.

I really enjoyed the tune! The names of some of these pieces of music kill me

4. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Believe me, you'll hear the raccoons in the attic -- been there, lived with that, in Raccoon City, Toronto. "Hey, keep it down up there!"
    Good tune, well played.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

6. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

Many years ago I lived in Toronto on the western end of the Bathurst/Lawrence area, sort of the ecotone between heavily Italian and heavily Orthodox Jewish neighborhoods. I believe the racoons there just waddled back and forth between festivals and family occasions feasting as heartily as the participants. Fattest racoons I ever saw anywhere.

NMD but brought back memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    Believe me, you'll hear the raccoons in the attic -- been there, lived with that, in Raccoon City, Toronto. "Hey, keep it down up there!"
    Good tune, well played.

8. The following members say thank you to rnjl for this post:

Ranald 

Quote Originally Posted by rnjl View Post
    Many years ago I lived in Toronto on the western end of the Bathurst/Lawrence area, sort of the ecotone between heavily Italian and heavily Orthodox Jewish neighborhoods. I believe the racoons there just waddled back and forth between festivals and family occasions feasting as heartily as the participants. Fattest racoons I ever saw anywhere.

NMD but brought back memories.
    Yeah. It's the only place I've ever lived where I met raccoons on a kosher diet.
    A friend in Toronto had next-door neighbours who "tamed" a raccoon. It would come onto their back porch regularly for a visit and a feed. When they returned home from a vacation, their kitchen was totally trashed. All the cupboards were open, boxes ripped apart, and food spread all over the kitchen. The raccoon had invited his friends and relatives in to party at his human friends' house, using the cat door to enter. (I've had friends like that who weren't raccoons.) I don't know whether the raccoons had mandolins at their parties, but here's an appropriate sticker, available from etsy.com in which I have no interest.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	10.1 KB 
ID:	197535
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

10. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

My raccoon/cabin/wall stories are not for the weak. I delved into lower redneck a few years ago...makes a good story that I am not proud of. And made everyone involved go yeek. But the raccoons were gone after two summers. Took two years of screeching in the wall right next to my head...........but dammit. Raccoons are smarter than a good share of people.

12. The following members say thank you to ajh for this post:

Ranald 

I live in Toronto (why so many Toronto stories?) and had a raccoon family in my unused garage one summer. This summer I cleaned it out wearing a protective mask and gloves.

Once I came downstairs in the night in my girlfriend's (now wife's) house and found a mom raccoon and three young ones eating from the catfood bowl. The backdoor had been left open. The mom hissed at me. I backed away a bit and she shooed her young out before backing out herself, like a gunfighter knowing not to turn her back.

A raccoon climbed down the chimney of my parents' house, went into the kitchen, opened a drawer, ate a package of cookies, and left again. Leaving sooty footprints.

By the way, we have lots of foxes, coyotes, and now with warmer temperatures even possum in the city.

And thanks for the tune!
    Cary Fagan

14. The following members say thank you to Cary Fagan for this post:

Ranald