Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Octolindo on the way!

  1. #1

    Default Octolindo on the way!

    I just bought an Octolindo Deluxe from Kilin at KR Strings. I had a nice conversation with Kilin. Hes a really nice guy whos passionate about his craft. It should be here next week. Looking forward to getting this!

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GChris For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Registered User Scotter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    159

    Default Re: Octolindo on the way!

    Quote Originally Posted by GChris View Post
    I just bought an Octolindo Deluxe from Kilin at KR Strings. I had a nice conversation with Kilin. Hes a really nice guy whos passionate about his craft. It should be here next week. Looking forward to getting this!
    Well, I've been saving up for an OM for awhile now. The Northfield Archtop OM and the Octolindo are both at the top of my wishlist but I've never played either. I've loved what I've heard on YouTube of both so far. How did you decide to order the Octolindo? Can you order them with a pickguard?

    Please post a review with some photos and or a video when it arrives.
    Play that which you feel is groovy, get down with your bad self, and shake your money maker if it makes sense for you to do so.

  4. #3

    Default Re: Octolindo on the way!

    Quote Originally Posted by Scotter View Post
    Well, I've been saving up for an OM for awhile now. The Northfield Archtop OM and the Octolindo are both at the top of my wishlist but I've never played either. I've loved what I've heard on YouTube of both so far. How did you decide to order the Octolindo? Can you order them with a pickguard?

    Please post a review with some photos and or a video when it arrives.
    All I had to go on was what I could find online as none are available anywhere near where I live. Based on YouTube clips, I REALLY wanted a Clark cutaway but $6800 is getting up there in price for me. And, at my age, an almost 2 year wait was an issue. The Northfield was an option. Kind of stumbled across Kilin’s. I wrote him with some questions and he said he had one left and no more until Feb 22. So, a leap of faith and a credit card number has one headed my way. I will post my impressions after I get it.
    Last edited by GChris; Nov-12-2021 at 1:51pm.

  5. The following members say thank you to GChris for this post:


  6. #4
    Registered User Scotter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    159

    Default Re: Octolindo on the way!

    Quote Originally Posted by GChris View Post
    All I had to go on was what I could find online as none are available anywhere near where I live. Based on YouTube clips, I REALLY wanted a Clark cutaway but $6800 is getting up there in price for me. And, at my age, an almost 2 year wait was an issue. The Northfield was an option. Kind of stumbled across Kilin’s. I wrote him with some questions and he said he had one left and no more until Feb 22. So, a leap of faith and a credit card number has one headed my way. I will post my impressions after I get it.
    Howdy,

    How do you like the new Octolindo? Did you keep it or send it back after someone recently posted that there was a Clark OM for sale?
    Play that which you feel is groovy, get down with your bad self, and shake your money maker if it makes sense for you to do so.

  7. #5

    Default Re: Octolindo on the way!

    Quote Originally Posted by Scotter View Post
    Howdy,

    How do you like the new Octolindo? Did you keep it or send it back after someone recently posted that there was a Clark OM for sale?
    I exchanged emails with Clark regarding the used OM he was selling for a client. Unfortunately (for me), the owner wanted almost as much for his as a new one from Clark, so I passed.

    As for the Octolindo, I’m still waiting.

  8. The following members say thank you to GChris for this post:


  9. #6
    Registered User Charles E.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Saint Augustine Beach FL
    Posts
    5,530

    Default Re: Octolindo on the way!

    Still waiting?! Bummer.
    Charley

    A bunch of stuff with four strings

  10. #7

    Default Re: Octolindo on the way!

    Getting close. Kilin was doing final setup and I asked him for a custom floating pick guard and…perhaps…an ebony tailpiece. There’s been some discussion to what extent an ebony tailpiece will affect the tone. Anyone in here with an informed opinion?

  11. #8
    Registered User Glassweb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    2,905

    Default Re: Octolindo on the way!

    These Octolindos seem very pricey to me. Basically a uke with metal strings... much like a cavaquinho.

  12. #9

    Default Re: Octolindo on the way!

    Quote Originally Posted by Glassweb View Post
    These Octolindos seem very pricey to me. Basically a uke with metal strings... much like a cavaquinho.
    My uke cost more than the Octolindo. But, yes, musical instruments can be quite pricey.

  13. #10
    Registered User Scotter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    159

    Default Re: Octolindo on the way!

    Quote Originally Posted by Glassweb View Post
    These Octolindos seem very pricey to me. Basically a uke with metal strings... much like a cavaquinho.
    I'm guessing that you're referring to the Mandolindo which looks like with some minor retuning would make a nice cavaquinho. The guitar shaped 8 string arch top octave mandolin offered up as an "Octolindo" should sound nothing like an ukulele (I have no less than five of them) and, IMHO, appears reasonably priced within the current market place.

    GChris,

    I too would want the pick guard due to my free floating and ham fisted attack of the strings but I would only want the ebony tailpiece if I was hung up on aesthetics. I would lean on Kilin to see what he thinks whether or not it would affect the tone.

    -Scotty
    Play that which you feel is groovy, get down with your bad self, and shake your money maker if it makes sense for you to do so.

  14. The following members say thank you to Scotter for this post:

    GChris 

  15. #11

    Default Re: Octolindo on the way!

    GChris,

    I too would want the pick guard due to my free floating and ham fisted attack of the strings but I would only want the ebony tailpiece if I was hung up on aesthetics. I would lean on Kilin to see what he thinks whether or not it would affect the tone.

    -Scotty[/QUOTE]

    Kilin agreed to fabricate a floating guard for me. He said it was rather involved which, I think, means to be patient as it will take extra time. Not a problem for me.

    He pushed back a little on the ebony tailpiece saying it might reduce the sustain somewhat. I told him tone was a priority and to use his judgement. Haven’t heard back from him on that subject. I imagine he got a bunch of instruments in and he’s busy setting them up for other clients who aren’t asking for a custom variation.

    I certainly don’t mind waiting a little longer to get one configured the way I want.

  16. The following members say thank you to GChris for this post:


  17. #12
    Registered User Scotter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    159

    Default Re: Octolindo on the way!

    Quote Originally Posted by GChris View Post

    Kilin agreed to fabricate a floating guard for me. He said it was rather involved which, I think, means to be patient as it will take extra time. Not a problem for me.

    He pushed back a little on the ebony tailpiece saying it might reduce the sustain somewhat. I told him tone was a priority and to use his judgement. Havent heard back from him on that subject. I imagine he got a bunch of instruments in and hes busy setting them up for other clients who arent asking for a custom variation.

    I certainly dont mind waiting a little longer to get one configured the way I want.
    I requested a small floating pick guard for my Buckeye F5 and Pete said that it helps to have the Florida extension (fretted or not - I got mine unfretted) to help anchor the floating pick guard to the fretboard. Apparently the extension allows for greater length between the two contact points where the pick guard is fixed to the fretboard. This increases the stability of the floating pick guard. I imagine that Kilin is faced with a similar issue.
    Play that which you feel is groovy, get down with your bad self, and shake your money maker if it makes sense for you to do so.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •