Thread: Suddenly the 11th or 12th fret gave up on me

Blog Entries

Default Suddenly the 11th or 12th fret gave up on me

So this is odd. I picked up my mandolin and started playing a piece I had just played a couple days ago with no problems, and suddenly it seems fretting the 11th fret clearly plays the 12th fret note - but only on the bottom E string.

I'm perplexed as to how this could happen seemingly overnight, and what the reason is at all. My only (probably terrible) guess is I figure this could happen if the 12th fret... suddenly became too high somehow (unseated)? But at least visually I don't see anything like that, and besides the distance between the two E strings is so small...

Any thoughts on troubleshooting? These are pretty new strings, I think I just put them on maybe a week and a half ago.
    Diego

Eastman MD315
    Kentucky KM505
    JBovier ELS
    ---
    Ivan Dunov VL402 Violin

Default Re: Suddenly the 11th or 12th fret gave up on me

So one of the strings in your first (E) course frets out on the 12th fret, while the other doesn't?

The only thing that comes to mind is what you've suggested, either that the slight curvature ("relief") in the neck has lessened, bringing the 12th fret closer to the strings, or that the fret has risen in its slot. I assume by "bottom E string" you mean the first string that's located closer to the edge of the fretboard, so there also could be a slight twisting in the neck that raised the outer edge more than the rest of the fretboard, so that only one string of the first course was affected.

If it looks like the 12th fret's still firmly seated, and appears to project above the fretboard the same distance as other frets, check your neck geometry -- or have an experienced repairperson do it for you -- and see if the neck's moved or twisted at all. Is it only the 12th fret that seems "raised?" What about the 13th and up -- do they seem to fret true?

The other possibility is that your neck's "relief" may be affected by new, different strings, exerting less string tension and allowing the neck to flex "backwards" to some extent. Your problem may be solvable by a slight bridge height adjustment, but I'd get an expert to look at it.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Sudden drastic change in humidity?

Blog Entries

Thanks for the replies and ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    I assume by "bottom E string" you mean the first string that's located closer to the edge of the fretboard
    That is the one I mean. Are there standard words for differentiating the two strings in a course?

Is it only the 12th fret that seems "raised?" What about the 13th and up -- do they seem to fret true?
    Only the 11th fret doesn't really fret true (and only for the one E string). The rest seem fine.

Your problem may be solvable by a slight bridge height adjustment, but I'd get an expert to look at it.
    I may try a bridge adjustment initially. The closest shop is >1hr bus ride away, so I can really only make it on Saturdays, and come back the next week. A little inconvenient.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdw View Post
    Sudden drastic change in humidity?
    Not a bad guess, it has suddenly gotten much colder the past couple days.
    Diego

Eastman MD315
    Kentucky KM505
    JBovier ELS
    ---
    Ivan Dunov VL402 Violin

Best to put a magnifying glass on the saddle slots and the NUT. It may be that, although not obvious, one of the strings is slightly higher or lower on the nut or saddle and this minute variation comes into play if the 11th fretwire or 12th has any movement at all. You rally have to look VERY closely around the two pieces of fretwire. Must be an imperfection in the final fretwire dress meaning the builder has taken a miniscule amount off the outside fretwire. I think the fret is the space between the fretwires.

Does the neck join the body at the 12th fret? I'm thinking a drop in humidity opened up the fret slot and it popped up a little.