Thread: Tuner Buttons Buzzing

Default Tuner Buttons Buzzing

I found lots of threads about fixing buzzes, but I didn't see this particular problem.

I swapped out old tuners on a vintage mandolin for some Stewart MacDonald Golden Age replacements. It all went well. But when I played it, two of the tuner buttons buzzed and I could feel they were ever so slightly loose. They do not have screws to tighten.

I should probably return the tuners, but if there's a good fix I'd rather do that. And is there a way to fix this without removing the tuners again?

Default Re: Tuner Buttons Buzzing

I pulled the buzzing buttons off of the shaft and wrapped the shaft with teflon tape (plumbing tape) and forced the buttons back on. So far so good.

I really dislike StewMac tuners. Shoddy workmanship to say the least.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

3. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

I had a customer drive 2 hours to bring me his mandolin to track down a buzz. Tightened the screw on a tuner button and that did it!
    So look at the bright side, you figured it out yourself!
    I hesitate to recommend this because I don't know your capabilities, but a little superglue seeped into the space between the shaft and button can cure the buzz. It must be kept off of the outside surface of the button in particular and also excess on the shaft is not a good thing, though it can be cleaned off.

All that said, returning them to Stewmac, as you mentioned, would probably be best.

5. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

Maybe you didn't run across this thread of mine. Get some of Stew-Mac's thin super glue and wick it up along the shaft. Worked for me.

7. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

Same problem on a 1912 Gibson K4 with the original tuners ("Handel"?). Mike at Portland Fretworks removed, super-glued them back on and tightened things up. Buzz is gone, but some of the little knobs are still a little loose. I love the historical, original, unreconstructed thing, but I am afraid I will eventually have to replace these beauties.
    jim

9. The following members say thank you to Jim Imhoff for this post:

Thanks for all the replies. I have to admit, this is the second set of Stew Mac Golden Age replacements I've bought where the tuner buttons buzz. Because of that, I really should return them and complain about them. They need the feedback. I've bought a lot of tools and parts from them in the past with no problems, except for these tuners!

Is there is another source for new tuners with these vintage specs?

Having said all that, I'll probably try the thin super glue fix. The plumber's tape idea sounds good but I'm afraid I might damage the buttons trying to pull them off.

Before these were available I would buy any tuner set and cut the tuner plates apart at the screw holes. It doesn't have to spread so much that the screws won't hold the plates on but will be enough to make the spacing work. I don't mind altering a new set of tuners, compared to a vintage mandolin.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

12. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

I've used Sunburst's solution for dropping super glue into the button at shaft juncture with success. I also like pops1 idea of modifying an existing plate but not sure if my ocd would allow it, lol! I don't believe any other maker offers tuners with the spacing that golden age does. I guess one could scrounge for old tuners that might be in good working order. I drove myself crazy trying to figure out why my E string sounded like a sitar, turns out the loose screw was the culprit. I felt pretty stupid over that.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

14. The following members say thank you to jim simpson for this post:

Pops1, you are the man! I don't think I'd have the skill levels to alter a set of tuners like you. There's another vote for super glue from Jim Simpson, so that's what I'll try. Tracking down buzzes is one of the most difficult things there is.