Thread: Crossrock fiberglass case for Weber OM

Default Crossrock fiberglass case for Weber OM

Just bought this on a hunch that it might work based on the dimensions, so I thought I'd post a review. Because it's for an OM it might be more useful here than the hardware forums? The TL,DR read version is that I'm very happy with the case, but it's not going to fit every OM out there. Better for the longer scale versions without modifications.

I still have the original Weber hardshell plywood case that came with my 22" scale Yellowstone F-style OM. It's big and it's heavy, I mean really heavy. When I brought the OM to Bruce Weber's new shop in Montana for some fret work last Spring, he said these cases turned out way heavier than they were looking for, and they went with a lighter-weight in later years. Anyway, I needed something lighter in weight for an upcoming workshop next Winter. I've been using a Reunion Blues classical guitar case to carry it and I've never liked the lack of real protection, but the stock Weber case was just too heavy.

After following the discussion here about Crossrock fiberglass cases, I decided to take a chance on the classical guitar case. The interior dimensions looked like it might work. The case arrived last week, and it's just about perfect for this particular instrument. Plenty of vertical room so there is no pressure on the bridge, and it almost doesn't need any padding to prevent shifting around in the case (I'll add a little bit).

Lots of room around the F-style headstock, but the critical thing for other OM owners is that the neck support just barely works for an OM at this 22" scale length (see photo below). Classical guitars have a longer scale, which is why the neck support is where it is. A 20" scale Weber would probably need some work done to the neck support brace.

Build quality is good; it's actually lighter in weight than I was expecting. I would have liked one more latch, but this seems secure enough, and the lid was a good fit. I read some posts saying some Crossrock lids didn't fit well, this one does. I'm happy with the case for this particular instrument, and can answer any questions about it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OM case open.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	444.0 KB 
ID:	197194

Name:	OM case closed.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	420.1 KB 
ID:	197195

Name:	OM case headstock.jpg