Thread: Mandolin Cafe newbie, and NMD

Default Mandolin Cafe newbie, and NMD

I discovered Mandolin Cafe only a few weeks ago, and I'm really glad to have found it. There is so much information, wisdom and fun here! Thank you so much for creating this place.

I started playing mandolin a little over 50 years ago, when a family friend showed me a few tunes and gave me his (common as dirt) turn-of-the-last-century American bowlback. A few years later I added a cheapo Ibanez flatback, and that was it in terms of instruments for 25 years or so, except once when a friend loaned me her Martin for a few months. I taught myself various tunes and a decent tremolo, and took a half hour lesson once. I was never a performer or in a band, although I sometimes played folk dance tunes for other folk dancers.

About 20 years ago I sold the mandolins, but I couldn't stay away forever. I acquired a (slightly less common than dirt) bowlback mandola a while later.

Then this August it happened - NMD! I still have the mandola, but my new pride and joy is an APC mandocello. It has a very good sound to my ears, and this is encouraging me to practice more consistently than I ever did in the past. It's also a large beast, with a 25 3/4 inch scale and a 1 3/4 inch nut. The first time I tried it, the neck felt like a railroad tie.

It's worth the effort to get used to it, however. Time to get back to practice!

2. The following members say thank you to Steve Finlay for this post:

Lo-Fi 

Default Re: Mandolin Cafe newbie, and NMD

Sounds like you have had a fun journey. Keep going.

Default Re: Mandolin Cafe newbie, and NMD

Welcome, Steve. I agree--this place and the people here have a warm and welcoming answer for almost any mandolin-related question.