Thread: Picking Hand: where to strike the strings

Default Picking Hand: where to strike the strings

Lifelong acoustic flat-picker turned newbie mandolin player and still working on basic techniques. Question for you all:

Where do you strike the strings when chopping: A) over the fretboard above where the neck meets body, B) over the fretboard extension, C) somewhere between the end of the fretboard extension and bridge?

Same question for picking single notes (fills, solos). Thanks!

One of the things I keep running into is the clicking sound of my pick hitting the fretboard extension when I forget to move my hand down toward the bridge.

Default Re: Picking Hand: where to strike the strings

Here's what I do:

Chopping - C) somewhere between the end of the fretboard extension and bridge. If I want it to have more "pop" - near the bridge. If I want it to have more tone and/or I'm doing more of a shuffle rhythm - closer to the fretboard extension.

Single notes - depends on the sound I want. Better tone and/or tremolo, I'll be closer to the fretboard extension (for me - that's where I get better tone). If I'm doing Monroe style downstrokes - or trying to...- I'll be close to the bridge.

No right or wrong answer - just depends on the sound you're after.

Controversial - you can get that fretboard extension scooped.

Kirk

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tiltman For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=tiltman;1841829]Here's what I do:

Chopping - C) somewhere between the end of the fretboard extension and bridge. If I want it to have more "pop" - near the bridge. If I want it to have more tone and/or I'm doing more of a shuffle rhythm - closer to the fretboard extension.

Single notes - depends on the sound I want. Better tone and/or tremolo, I'll be closer to the fretboard extension (for me - that's where I get better tone). If I'm doing Monroe style downstrokes - or trying to...- I'll be close to the bridge.

No right or wrong answer - just depends on the sound you're after.

Controversial - you can get that fretboard extension scooped.

Kirk[Controversial - you can get that fretboard extension scooped.]

Thanks Kirk. "scooped" - is that the same thing as removing the frets on the fretboard extension? I've known a few mando players who did that.

Scooped usually means removing frets and wood from the extension, like so...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finsihed_oiled_large.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	197132

The place to chop is wherever on your particular mandolin you get the strongest sound for the least amount of effort with your right hand. The place to pick is where you get the most appropriate sound for what you mean to express. Either learn not to care about the clicking noise or else chop your florida clean off.