Thread: Barbara

Default Barbara

I love this, and probably everyone who reads this sub forum knows the tune, but just in case! Andy Statman, and really good guitar by John Carlini. I don't know who are playing bass and brushes, but they are fabulous. This tune makes the case for mandolin in jazz as well as any, in my humble, worthless, o.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lowtone2 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Barbara

Probably my favorite tune from this incredible album. I bought it at Stu Herrick's "Folkstore" in Seattle back in the early 1980s, probably not long after it was released. It blew my mind... still does!

-David

4. The following members say thank you to DSDarr for this post:

Probably my favorite tune from this incredible album. I bought it at Stu Herrick's "Folkstore" in Seattle back in the early 1980s, probably not long after it was released. It blew my mind... still does!

-David

Blog Entries

That and the title cut, Flatbush Waltz, are my favorites from this album, one of the first mandolin recordings I ever purchased.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Well I for one had not heard this tune or the album, so I am glad you posted! What great music. Just sampled the rest of the LP & bought it. Thanks!

You're right about the John Carlini guitar as well. He's pretty great. He's got a nice album called The Games Afoot, and also did By George and Angel Eyes with Don Stiernberg.

8. The following members say thank you to Alfons for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Alfons View Post
    Well I for one had not heard this tune or the album, so I am glad you posted! What great music. Just sampled the rest of the LP & bought it. Thanks!

You're right about the John Carlini guitar as well. He's pretty great. He's got a nice album called The Games Afoot, and also did By George and Angel Eyes with Don Stiernberg.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR1TPvE2UQQ

Quote Originally Posted by lowtone2 View Post
    I love this, and probably everyone who reads this sub forum knows the tune, but just in case! Andy Statman, and really good guitar by John Carlini. I don't know who are playing bass and brushes, but they are fabulous. This tune makes the case for mandolin in jazz as well as any, in my humble, worthless, o.
    Full title is "Barbara in the Morning" for Andy's wife. Here are the credits. Marty Confurius was Andy's regular bass player in those days. I would guess the person playing brushes was Frank Clayton.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Credits.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	162.2 KB 
ID:	196964
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I should have pulled my own vinyl copy of the album.

On the Andy Statman Klezmer Orchestra album from 1983 (Shenachie) I think there are 2 mando-led tracks -- the others are clarinet-led.

One of those mando-tracks is Ukrainer Chosid'l (Barbara's Tune). I'm pretty sure that's trad, not written by Andy, though the Barbara thing might be the hook that got Andy interested in the tune.

This book (Familiar Music for the Mandolin, anyone know it?) has a tune called Barbara Polka, that, pre-internet, I wondered if it had a connection to the Ukrainer Chosid'l. I think it probably doesn't.