Thread: Workshop Topics Suggestions

Default Workshop Topics Suggestions

Hey all -

I'm running a mandolin workshop in a few weeks and the topic I originally planned I've decided is too in depth for a 60 minute workshop (the original idea was "How to learn a song at every level - using Mary had a Little Lamb, showcasing how to use multiple melody, chord, and scale positions to create interesting ideas on any song").

I've been toying with a few other ideas but I was curious to get some ideas from the group. Ideally this is targeting beginners and some intermediate players as those are the most likely to come to a workshop that's not run by someone super famous haha.

Topics I'm toying around with:
    + Double stops across the fretboard - using double stops to move around the fretboard and create interesting leads and rhythmic ideas.
    + Proper technique breakdown - common technique problems and how to correct them for good
    + Building strength and Focus - focusing on left hand pinky exercises and right hand picking techniques

Any thoughts on these - or any suggestions on topics that you'd attend?
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

Default Re: Workshop Topics Suggestions

I think proper technique breakdown is a GREAT one for a beginner/intermediate workshop - it'll help save attendees so much grief further down the line. Lack of appropriate technique can really hamstring progress and lack of progress can lead to people putting the instrument down and deciding it's not for them whereas simple tweaks to technique can act as a "key turning" moment for people.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

3. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Since you’re targeting Beg and Int I would put out a message to be tuned and ready to go when the wks begins and be able to play 2-finger chords G, C, D, and A.

Don’t entertain ques about tuners, picks, and strings during the wks time…save that for after class.

• Spend 3-5 minutes assessing everyone with warm up exercises.
    • Use a scale exercise for warmup like folded scales which can then be incorporated into the wks song.
    • Explain DS using the key you’ll play Mary in then move on to some simple improv

If the class is full of Beg you may not get far, if you clearly have int players don’t get too bogged down with the beginners, when I first picked up mando I signed up for things that were over my head - still do - and learn alot from sitting, watching, and listening.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Chords and backup get neglected even though 80 percent of your time in jams or performance is spent doing it. The number system and knowing I-IV-V chords is a huge thing for playing with others. Also etiquette for playing with others.

Don’t entertain ques about tuners, picks, and strings during the wks time…save that for after class.
    ...someone's been to a few workshops.

Chords and backup get neglected even though 80 percent of your time in jams or performance is spent doing it. The number system and knowing I-IV-V chords is a huge thing for playing with others.
    +1 on that. You could even incorporate double stops, inversions,different fingerings, and rhythmic changes to make backup more interesting.

Kirk

7. The following members say thank you to tiltman for this post:

Thanks all.

I will definitely review the Nashville Numbering system. I likely will just have a handout or something that explains it so I don't need to really spend time on it.

I prepared this for the class (and my students) recently though it still needs some polishing https://mattcbruno.com/basic-double-stops/. This was more or less the "double stop workshop" I had planned just with some additional handouts. I'm having trouble finding software to write out fretboards digitally though (any suggestions? I use MuseScore but it's not ideal for this). My thinking was these included two note chords, so more bang for the buck so to speak.

I think maybe I'll structure like this:

Warm up with G Major scale - straight through two octaves in open and closed position - about 10 minutes. Explaining the importance of using different warm ups as well (like running thirds, skipping thirds, etc)
    Overview of proper techniques - left hand thumb position, proper picking technique, things to watch for when fretting chords etc - maybe 15 minutes depending on the crowd
    Double Stop overview in G - showing the shapes of double stops and applying them to G. Explaining the two note chords buried in these as well - 20 - 30 minutes
    Q&A

If the crowd is beginner heavy, probably more focus on the Technique. If it's more intermediates, then more on the double stops.

Mando's in use

Wouldn't hurt to mention some basic music theory. Time signatures, major vs minor, what playing in a key means. I'd keep that very brief but it is beneficial to know there is some basic language that this thing called music starts with.
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx

Blog Entries

If you are going to do anything on double stops, I would highly recommend looking at this:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/e...to-Doublestops

A workshop on this, with handouts, could be life changing, at all levels of competency.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

11. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

mbruno 

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    If you are going to do anything on double stops, I would highly recommend looking at this:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/e...to-Doublestops

A workshop on this, with handouts, could be life changing, at all levels of competency.
    Thanks Jeff. More or less the plan is to have the workshop with notes / handouts on my website. The primary goal for me giving this workshop is to get more students - so redirecting to my site is key I'll have some barebones stuff at the workshop itself that alludes to what's online

Mando's in use

All good and useful. Only thing I might consider for beginning abd intermediate students is for them to come away with a tune they can apply those tasty double stops or phrasing tricks to. Scales are fine and basic but something you can work on and pick up and many players at that stage might like a tune to play. Same subject but slightly different approach. Just my dos centavos.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

I am with Jim, what ever your motive in doing the workshop, leave 'em with a useful nugget. Just something they can be all wow about and remember being blown away.

A tune is good. In one workshop, years ago, the only thing I got was where a fourth interval was and where a fifth interval, from where ever I put my index finger. That little nugget moved me immeasurably forward, and the instructor and that nugget are all I remember from that whole festival.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

15. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Thanks Jim and Jeff. I agree with ya both. I'm planning on using a song to showcase how to use these as well. I figure I'll use a simple song and show how the double stops can be used to build a solo or supplant chords in some cases.

The lesson plan so to speak is basically this page but with a few more specifics / details https://mattcbruno.com/basic-double-stops/

I'm going to also add in "standard bluegrass licks using double stops" at some point. I'll post again for feedback when that's ready

I thought about also covering the Nashville Numbering System in some form since I think a lot of beginners and even intermediate folks struggle with that. I developed this as a basic lesson plan for that https://mattcbruno.com/nashville-numbering-system/

Mando's in use

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mbruno For This Useful Post:

Some indeas. More intermediate maybe...

Tremolo.

Most beginners want to play fast, so good practice habits is essential and teaching them to be patient. And teaching them how to play just one measure, really fast! Some sort of well known riff.

1,4,5 -the key to everything is something that’s completely overlooked for melody instrumentalists. Try only major double stops and emphasise, the root double stop is here... so where is 4 and 5?

Good luck!

oh, I just read the post above!

Matt: I bet it will be just great!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

20. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

mbruno 

Matt - just checked out the page linked above. Looking forward to hearing about a double stops workshop!
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

Best of luck with your workshop. Sounds like you have this well thought out. Please let us know how this endeavor went. We'll all take credit for your success!
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx