Thread: Eastwood Mandolins

Default Eastwood Mandolins

Hey There,

New to this area of the Cafe even though I've been a member for awhile...
    (lurk more than I post)

I have a vintage Fender mandocaster that I dink around with a bit but I'm (obviously) not as serious as you folks!

Anyway, a lot of ads for the Eastwood Mandolins are popping up in the classifieds and they have me wondering about an 8-string emando...(darn MAS!)

Has anyone tried one of these? (saw the thread about their Ric copies) More wondering about these others.

Thanks!

Kirk

2. The following members say thank you to tiltman for this post:

Default Re: Eastwood Mandolins

Thoughts about the Eastwood 8-string mandocaster to be specific...

Thanks again!

Kirk

Blog Entries

I had an Eastwood five string emando. I sold it for a vintage Fender FM 60E semi-hollowbody five string emando.

I had no specific problem with the Eastwood. It just felt "clunky" to me, in comparison with the Fender. I know clunky is a very imprecise word, and a very subjective one as well. Five different musicians could pick up the Eastwood and they would likely not agree on the "degree of clunkiness". But I cannot conceive of anyone picking up the Fender FM 60E and finding it clunky.

I forget the prices involved but the Fender did cost more. Not a lot more, but more.

I hope that helps somewhat. I do not disparage Eastwood at all, and if I had not tried the Fender i would have kept the Eastwood and not known any better.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I have owned two Eastwood 4 strings and a tenor. All were very nice. I only sold to pay for a custom 4 string octave.

6. The following members say thank you to vwfye for this post:

I have one of the 8 string variants with the Morgan Monroe brand. I believe they are all made in the same Asian factory and sold under different brand names. At any rate, it looks almost identical to the Eastwood. It is fairly nice playing but sounds kind of thin without using effects. The pickups are under powered and could use an upgrade or use of some stomp boxes to fatten it up. I bought it used for about $300 so a much better value than a new $450 Eastwood imho

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	81358.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	196.7 KB 
ID:	196866

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

I own the Airline Map Mandola

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Airline_MapMandola_Black_01__69625_large.jpeg 
Views:	73 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	196868

I played it for about a year but then wandered away.
    The really thin neck bothered me.
    But it's a lot of fun to play.

I’ve been thinking about the mandocaster for a loooong time now…the 10% off was enough to push me over as it’s on the way.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

10. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

it’s on the way.
    Cool and congrats! Let me know what you think when it arrives.

Kirk

I've had just about every 8 string import electric through my shop and the Eastman's were by far the better of the instruments for tone and best playing. No matter what you get, plan on spending some time and/or money on getting it setup. I was very underwhelmed by the Kentucky in particular as well as the Fender unless you can find a late eighties or early nineties model. The Dillion was pretty good but they're few and far between. The Morgan Monroe is the same as the Eastman.

How do you like it and where did you get 10% off?

Eastwood had an ad in the classifieds a few weeks ago offering the 10% off, I haven't plugged it in yet but it's a nice solid little instrument. Seems well made and I couldn't find anything wrong with it upon first look. I've got to dig out the amp from the back of the closet and try it out.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

I've got to dig out the amp from the back of the closet and try it out.
    Well??? What do you think?

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thistle3585 View Post
    I've had just about every 8 string import electric through my shop and the Eastman's were by far the better of the instruments for tone and best playing. No matter what you get, plan on spending some time and/or money on getting it setup. I was very underwhelmed by the Kentucky in particular as well as the Fender unless you can find a late eighties or early nineties model. The Dillion was pretty good but they're few and far between. The Morgan Monroe is the same as the Eastman.
    Are you talking Eastwood or Eastman? I have now and only recently played a few electrics and have never played an Eastman El Ray. The Cozart “low cost Asian” needed quite a bit of work to get decent playability. The previous to me owner invested in new pickups which he said was needed for a quality sound. It now plays above its pay grade but took $$.$$ and work to accomplish.
    Last edited by Pittsburgh Bill; Nov-05-2021 at 3:46pm.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)