Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monel strings

Default Monel strings

I broke a string at jam the other day ( haven't done that in a while) and so I decided to try these Curt Mangan Monel coated strings I picked up a while ago. I did the Black Diamond thing years ago, but found when the coating started to deteriorate the strings were difficult to play. Any way these do not have near as heavy a coating as Black Diamond.
    At first I thought they were "scratchy sounding" but after a while that seemed to stabilize, and they have a slickness to them, on my F5 and for bluegrass I'm liking them, the PB I used before did have a "brassy" quality that seemed cutting at times.
    Anyone else using "coated strings" out there
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: Monel strings

I don’t believe the Curt Mangan monels to be “coated” strings like Elixirs; rather, the wound strings employ monel, an alloy that is resistant to corrosion.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pheffernan For This Useful Post:

I have had a set of The Curt Mangan Gabriel Wiseman Monels on for about two weeks. I am really liking the sound.

Adam

5. The following members say thank you to addamr for this post:

this is from the website
    Monel (aka Nickel Bronze) has built in natural resistance to tarnish and corrosion yet it feels great to the touch and has its own unique tonal color. Monel is 67% pure nickel, 30% copper and about 3% of special sauce that makes it Monel

anywho I agree for an F style Bluegrass tone they are pretty sweet, volume seems somewhat muted compared to PB but still very healthy, the low end seems less woofy but I've only had them on for a day.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Quote Originally Posted by addamr View Post
    I have had a set of The Curt Mangan Gabriel Wiseman Monels on for about two weeks. I am really liking the sound.

Adam
    That's all I have been using for the last couple of years, really love them. You don't get that super bright jangly sound like the PB and the sound stays pretty consistent throughout the life. I will go a few months on a set if I'm not doing a lot of gigs or jams.
    I also have a bad chemistry for PB strings and can turn even coated sets green pretty quickly, which is not a problem for me on monels.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

8. The following members say thank you to Drew Egerton for this post:

I’ve been playing them on guitar for about a year and finally got a set on my Kelley A5. Been playing them 3-4 weeks and am really liking them. Agree they don’t have the “brassy” quality of PB, but have a good fundamental tone. They also seem to last longer for me as well. I’m sure I’ll do some switching around again, but monels will be my strings for the next few changes, anyway. Playing Martin’s on the guitars and D’Addairios on mando.

I’ve used D’addairo j74 pb since forever. My friend gave me a couple sets of D’addairo monels to try a while back. I put a set on a couple days ago and so far I’m liking them a lot. It kinda sucks because I have about 6 sets of the j74’s left.

I'm a fan of monels as well - I've got the D'Addario ones on my Girouard and much prefer them to PB, can't see meself going back.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

I’m looking at trying these out soon. I bought a new to me mandolin and I’m hoping that I can turn down the brightness with some monels. Tried them a few years ago on my cheapo starter and didn’t like the results but I’m thinking on this instrument they could be just right.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Resident Hack

For those who have compared Monels to nickel-plated steel, what did you think?
    I really enjoyed my one (so far) excursion into monel and am about to try nps.
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

Have any of you monel users tried the Pure Nickel from GHS? Seems to be some of the same pluses as I am hearing from the users of monel strings.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I tried monel on my gibson A9 for, shoot idk probably a couple of years. The same set of strings. They last much longer than PB

But, i recently put my old standby GHS A270s back on it and preferred the sound by alot. So im sticking with those. Its just much more complex and toneful than the monel even if you do have to change them more often.
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

I just tried my first set of Monels, D’Addario EJM75C. I wanted to size up a step on my Eastman MD605 from the EJ74’s I’ve been using. Wow! I love the sound of these strings. I jammed with some friends playing guitar last night and the increased volume was dramatic, and the tone and sustain were awesome. I’ll be trying them on a few other mandolins as well.

My F5 currently wears the D'addario monels. I like them. They definitely seem to be lasting longer, although I play way more fiddle so I generally make all mandolin strings last a while!

I liked Monel and used the Gibson Sam Bush sets for awhile and then (of course) Gibson discontinued them. I remember at the time that Martin came out with their Retro Monels for guitar and I wrote to them to ask if they were planning to make them for mandolin. They told me no (at that time). Then D'Addario sent out sample sets of their new Nickel Bronze (NB) mandolin strings to members here and I liked the way they sounded even better. Like Monels but a bit warmer. Anyway, that is my favorite string for both mandolin and guitar these days. I did try pure nickel but didn't like them as much as Monel or NB.

I believe that the D'Addario Monels came out after the NBs or at least I was unaware of them when I switched over to the the NBs.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Long time user of D’Addario PB’s. Last week I put their monel set on my BRW two point and so far it seems to prefer the monels. Darker tone for sure, a bit…well it’s hard to describe: throatier? More growl? Less overtones and more fundamentals…like TI flat wounds except with punch & volume.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

Have any of you monel users tried the Pure Nickel from GHS?

Pops1- I had always used J74 but put a set of the pure nickle GHS mediums on. Loved the vintage tone but to me the G&D strings were rougher than a cob and played them about a month and the 11 - 41 were a bit too stiff, did not help my playing any for sure. The medium lights felt a bit floppy for some reason. Just put a set of the DAddario monel mediums on a week ago and so far the same vintage tone as the nickle but G&D strings are not rough and the gauges suit my playing better than either set of the pure nickle. I do not worry about them lasting longer or not, when they need changing I change them. I would rather change strings that sound good than play some "long lasting" set that sound terrible.

Gibson Mona~steel .. RIP .. good until discontinued ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Interesting Steve, I don't notice them being rough. My action is very low so they play easy. Sounds like a similar sound tho.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I like the Mangan monel mediums 11-15-26-40. I gave up on the D’Addario monel mediums because I kept breaking E strings. If GHS made a set of the pure nickel strings in 11-15-26-40 I would try them. I’ve used both sets of the pure nickels in the past and to my ear they are similar in tone to monels, and they cost less, but I don’t like the gauges.

BTW for those of you who like D'Addario Nickel Bronze (NB) strings or would like to try them, Strings and Beyond currently has a special for Buy One Set and Get One Free. NFI on my part nor do I have any affiliation with D'Addario.

I would take advantage but I probably have too many sets stocked up already.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

26. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    BTW for those of you who like D'Addario Nickel Bronze (NB) strings or would like to try them, Strings and Beyond currently has a special for Buy One Set and Get One Free. NFI on my part nor do I have any affiliation with D'Addario.

I would take advantage but I probably have too many sets stocked up already.
    I bought some of these to try. It will be my first string experiment! I only got as far as taking the tp cover off the SOL, so I'm gonna wait until these arrive.

So far, have not found a set of monel that works for me long term. Either guitar or mandolin. Have tried on my Jr, SOL and Collings and they've all come off. Right now am going through a flatwound phase and using those on both the Coombe and SOL at present.

While I appreciate what folks love about the monel sound, to my ears they have an edge to the tone I can't get past long term. It's okay when first installed, but after a while gets to really sound irritating to me. Not so much to the listener. So it's definitely a person bias.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well ... I tried Monel from D'Addario and Curt Magnan. I didn't like the tone on the mandolin I play most of the time. I suspect if you have a darker toned instrument they would do well on it. As always tonal perception and production depend on the player as much as the instrument. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...