Thread: Mid-MO value

Default Mid-MO value

I’m trying to get an idea of the value of a M-4 Mid-Mo. I searched around but can’t seem to find any currently for comparison. I figured the knowledgeable folks here could help me. Thanks for any info.

Default Re: Mid-MO value

They retail new (Big Muddy, not Mid-Mo, for what its worth) for $855 without any options and about $100 more than that for some different configurations. I would place this somewhere between $650 and $700, assuming good condition. In these pandemic times it might go a little higher due to scarcity.

Thanks Southern Man. I did check Big Muddy site for new price, but had now idea what an old one would go for nowadays. I had no recollection of what I had paid. When I looked for comps, I couldn’t find any. Thanks again.

I sold a really nice M4 with original fitted case a couple of years ago for $350. Probably too cheap but I only paid $325 for it.

Sometimes with the Big Muddy/Mid-Mo they will change woods on the same model number, so if you know what woods yours are made from, that might be a differentiator from the new models. Otherwise, the kind of standard 70ish%-80ish% of equivalent new model holds pretty well, again depending on condition, case, extras, etc.

Mid-Mo/Big Muddy are desirable mandolins in my opinion and seem to move pretty well when I've seen them listed in the classifieds. I have one and love it, and have recommended them to others. Not currently in the market (holding the MAS at bay) but if I saw a screaming deal like Parker sold his for...

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post

Mid-Mo/Big Muddy are desirable mandolins in my opinion and seem to move pretty well when I've seen them listed in the classifieds. I have one and love it, and have recommended them to others. Not currently in the market (holding the MAS at bay) but if I saw a screaming deal like Parker sold his for...
    I did get a lot of takers at that price! Oh well. I made someone happy. I had just completed building my third Army/Navy style mandolin from Crystal Forest plans and decided it was time to pass it on.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
    Otherwise, the kind of standard 70ish%-80ish% of equivalent new model holds pretty well, again depending on condition, case, extras, etc.
    I love flattops, including the Mid-Missouri M0 on which I got started, but I have not found that the standard depreciation of ~70% for archtops holds for most flattops. Great for buyers, bad for sellers, I’d expect a rosewood-backed M4 (Mike Dulak’s favorite BTW) to go in the $450-550 range.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Thank for all the responses. Now I just have to decide if I’m gonna sell the mid-mo or my US Breedlove quartz. I’m downsizing from house to apt. and have too many instruments for such a small space. I’m paring down to ONE of each.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bunnyf View Post
    Thank for all the responses. Now I just have to decide if I’m gonna sell the mid-mo or my US Breedlove quartz. I’m downsizing from house to apt. and have too many instruments for such a small space. I’m paring down to ONE of each.
    I suspect that you’d get more for the Breedlove, which used to traffic around $700 but seem to have ticked up slightly in recent years.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Best of luck with the downsize. I did the same 3 years ago and went the “fewer but better” route. I do miss a couple of the ones I sold or traded, but generally only when I could use a beater, as I love the instruments I’m playing now. It was more of a buyer’s market then, definitely more of a seller’s market now.