Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for a great Jazz tenor guitar?

Default Recommendations for a great Jazz tenor guitar?

Hey folks - I have a completely useful Recording King OOO TG and I'v been having a ball sussing out standard jazz tunes on mandolin then trying the same tune on tenor guitar, tuned GDAE. Of course, not all the shapes work, so then I have to figure out adaptations that WILL work. It's been a terrific learning exercise. I do have a Fender Tenor telecaster too but interested in finding an acoustic archtop tenor, so I don't have to get that Fender out of the case and plugged in each time inspiration strikes. Any suggestions? I imagine Gibson will come up (vintage) but also wondering if any newer instruments with fewer vintage issues come to mind?
    Girouard A5
    Girouard F5
    Eastwood Mandocaster
    Fender Tenor Telecaster (GDAE)
    Collings O1A
    Recording King Tenor Guitar

Default Re: Recommendations for a great Jazz tenor guitar?

So, you can’t store the Fender in the manner you’d store an acoustic tenor and plugging a cable into the Fender is too hard?

I’ve noticed that the chore of taking the electric Mando out of its case on one side of the room is no more difficult than taking the acoustic Mando out of its case on the other side of the room. Of course, my practice chair is in the middle of the room and the plugged in, cabled up amp is within arm’s length of the chair. Just sayin….

You could make it work.

On the other hand, everyone needs another instrument.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

I didn't claim that this was question with great logic involved :-) but in New England where everything has to be humidified through long winters, floor space becomes a bit of an issue in a small office room. So I tend to have a beater on the wall that I don't really care about and then something nearby in a case but when it becomes 2, 3, 4 cases it gets out of hand and also, seeking acoustic sound vs. electric. Plus I like arch tops. I'm sure I'm missing some points in my defense but these come immediately to mind.
    Girouard A5
    Girouard F5
    Eastwood Mandocaster
    Collings O1A

Earnest Instruments.....

http://www.earnestinstruments.com/veronica/

NFI

And if you are looking for a Gypsy Django style, Shelley Park...

https://www.parkguitars.com/tenor-guitar.html

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by shaundeane View Post
    I didn't claim that this was question with great logic involved :-) but in New England where everything has to be humidified through long winters, floor space becomes a bit of an issue in a small office room. So I tend to have a beater on the wall that I don't really care about and then something nearby in a case but when it becomes 2, 3, 4 cases it gets out of hand and also, seeking acoustic sound vs. electric. Plus I like arch tops. I'm sure I'm missing some points in my defense but these come immediately to mind.
    It just struck me as funny, but I hope you find something that suits you. Give us a budget and many folks here will be more than happy to help you spend it
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

6. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

I suggest a vintage Epiphone tenor. While I don''t play tenor, I do have a decent collection of vintage Epi archtops, which sound marvelous, and am aware they made tenors on a fairly regular basis. You could ask over at the Unofficial New York Epiphone FB page(if you're not already aware of it), to see if any members have one for sale. Heck, I've been tempted to buy an old Epi tenor, just to try one out.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Richard For This Useful Post:

Your avitar shows Riley Puckett playing a National guitar. National made quite s few tenor guitars in different configurations that are suited for jazz. I have a 1928 Triolian that is an absolute beast.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

10. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Earnest Instruments.....

http://www.earnestinstruments.com/veronica/

NFI

And if you are looking for a Gypsy Django style, Shelley Park...

https://www.parkguitars.com/tenor-guitar.html

NFI
    Actually Earnest (Joel Eckhaus) also makes a Maccaferri (gypsy jazz) style tenor. I am proud to own one pictured here:
    http://www.earnestinstruments.com/se...-tenor-guitar/
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Hasn’t Joel retired? Last I checked on his web site it appears that way.
    If you’re looking for a selmer-style, check out Craig Bumgarner. https://bumgarnerguitars Also, I’m a fan of del vecchio resonator tenors - one is listed on reverb now, from someone in Brazil from whom I’ve purchased.

13. The following members say thank you to mjbee for this post:

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Alex Bishop, but he's in the UK in my nearby city of Bristol, is a selmer/maccaferri sort of luthier - and he's made some serious kick a** GJ tenors

As you might see, I personally like an archtop, don't play jazz (though I love jazzy chord sequences... er....); but I have a Gibson etg150 (hard to get in Blighty!!)
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

15. The following members say thank you to Lord of the Badgers for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Badgers View Post
    Alex Bishop, but he's in the UK in my nearby city of Bristol, is a selmer/maccaferri sort of luthier - and he's made some serious kick a** GJ tenors

As you might see, I personally like an archtop, don't play jazz (though I love jazzy chord sequences... er....); but I have a Gibson etg150 (hard to get in Blighty!!)
    Thank you! I should have been more specific as I am actually hoping to locate a tenor archtop. Hey, I like a challenge. Have my eye on an Apitius but his build schedule is out on 2023....
    Girouard A5
    Girouard F5
    Eastwood Mandocaster
    Collings O1A

You should be able to find a 1950s or 1960s Kay or Harmony tenor archtop for a few hundred dollars on Reverb. The nice thing about archtops is that you can make a smaller bridge if the guitar needs a neck reset and you're not able to do the work yourself.

Alternatively, you could buy a beater and run the neck through the bandsaw, frets and all! I've done that a few times and it works great, With a full size archtop, you can play it tuned down like John Lawlor or capo it at the 3rd fret and tune to GDAE for a 23"ish scale length.

Here's a beater on Reverb right now for ~$125 shipped (NFI). The back is loose above the neck block, so when you glue it up you can do a "cheater's neck reset" before you slice the neck down thinner.

-Matthew

Hey, Shaun! I feel yer pain. I'm GASin' for a Northfield Archtop OM (maple back and sides) for mostly the same reasons. That new Octolindo OM might fit the bill too. I've been helping a buddy search for a Tenor guitar but he's hunting for a flat top to be used in "Chicago Tuning" or in 4ths. Have you given any thought to a Tenor Banjo for some fifth tuning swinging? Having said, that I just re-read mreidsma's post and I'm already giving that some crazy thought...

-Scotty
    Play that which you feel is groovy, get down with your bad self, and shake your money maker if it makes sense for you to do so.

Blog Entries

This Gibson Es-175 Tenor (Used, 1954) at The Music Emporium right now is pretty cool. And very pricey.

Name:  176441.jpg
Views: 1776
Size:  65.2 KB

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by shaundeane View Post
    Thank you! I should have been more specific as I am actually hoping to locate a tenor archtop. Hey, I like a challenge. Have my eye on an Apitius but his build schedule is out on 2023....
    Sounds like the OP is looking for an upper-end archtop, not a flattop or lower-end TG.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

There's been a 1947 D'angelico listed on Reverb for years. Way expensive, probably why it hasn't sold.
    But a fraction of the price of the D'angelico 6-strings from the same era!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Sounds like the OP is looking for an upper-end archtop, not a flattop or lower-end TG.
    Ah, good point! In that case, here's a heck of a deal from Gryphon on eBay - a slight project but it could be had at a very nice price (again, NFI): https://www.ebay.com/itm/353735779654

For posterity, ca. 1934 Gibson TG-50 starting bid at $500.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpeg 
Views:	234 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	196996

This one just listed in the classifieds: Gibson Tgl-7 Tenor Archtop Guitar, 1934
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

25. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber;[URL="tel:1841144"
    1841144[/URL]]This one just listed in the classifieds: Gibson Tgl-7 Tenor Archtop Guitar, 1934
    I used to own that guitar (actually, I’m the one bought it from retrofret. Sold it to current owner this spring). Great guitar - perfect jazz-era jazz box.

27. The following members say thank you to mjbee for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Scotter View Post
    Hey, Shaun! I feel yer pain. I'm GASin' for a Northfield Archtop OM (maple back and sides) for mostly the same reasons. That new Octolindo OM might fit the bill too. I've been helping a buddy search for a Tenor guitar but he's hunting for a flat top to be used in "Chicago Tuning" or in 4ths. Have you given any thought to a Tenor Banjo for some fifth tuning swinging? Having said, that I just re-read mreidsma's post and I'm already giving that some crazy thought...

-Scotty
    Scotty! Good to hear from you, amigo. And, thank you. I also had my eye on one of those Northfields. Joe K. Walsh uses one in the Peghead Octave class I took and it sounds great. Nothing to do with him, I'm sure :-) And yes, I did experiment with tenor banjo. I bought a nice Paramount and did a neck reset, fret job but then passed it along. Looking for something a little more soothing at the end of a day and also, it was HEAVY. I dropped out of an eBay auction on a Gibson 150 last week. It had issues but could have been nice. Shoulda hung in, as it sold for just a little bit more than I dropped at. Oh well. Hope to see you in a class again soon and hope the new office is going great.
    Girouard A5
    Girouard F5
    Eastwood Mandocaster
    Collings O1A

Quote Originally Posted by mjbee View Post
    There's been a 1947 D'angelico listed on Reverb for years. Way expensive, probably why it hasn't sold.
    But a fraction of the price of the D'angelico 6-strings from the same era!
    Thanks, I have seen that and yes, a bit north of comfort zone
    Girouard A5
    Girouard F5
    Eastwood Mandocaster
    Collings O1A

Quote Originally Posted by mreidsma View Post
    Ah, good point! In that case, here's a heck of a deal from Gryphon on eBay - a slight project but it could be had at a very nice price (again, NFI): https://www.ebay.com/itm/353735779654

For posterity, ca. 1934 Gibson TG-50 starting bid at $500.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpeg 
Views:	234 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	196996
    Very interesting! Thank you, I'll dive in on this one. Luckily, there are two great builders in Vermont who could help bring this back at a reasonable price. Thanks a lot for the heads up. Currently high bidder with a long way to go
    Girouard A5
    Girouard F5
    Eastwood Mandocaster
    Collings O1A

What is a Gibson 150? Not sure I have heard of that for a TG.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    What is a Gibson 150? Not sure I have heard of that for a TG.
    Gryphon was selling it on eBay last week - very similar to the one mentioned here, yesterday, but it was a 1953. Here's the original listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/35371078768...rdt=true&rt=nc
    Girouard A5
    Girouard F5
    Eastwood Mandocaster
    Collings O1A

I guess I was thinking of primarily acoustic archtop. I actually had an EST-150 From the 1930s with the CC pickup which I sold along with other CC instruments.

I would assume Gryphon knows what they are doing but would have called that 1953 a ETG-150. I also wonder by the 50s if that was a solid carved archtop. Come to think of it I think I did have one if those back in the 1980s and it didn’t have great acoustic sound.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

34. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post: