Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendations for a great Jazz tenor guitar?

Default Re: Recommendations for a great Jazz tenor guitar?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    This one just listed in the classifieds: Gibson Tgl-7 Tenor Archtop Guitar, 1934
    Looks like it is gone from the classifieds.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by mjbee View Post
    Hasn’t Joel retired? Last I checked on his web site it appears that way.
    If you’re looking for a selmer-style, check out Craig Bumgarner. https://bumgarnerguitars Also, I’m a fan of del vecchio resonator tenors - one is listed on reverb now, from someone in Brazil from whom I’ve purchased.
    Joel is still messing about with projects that interest him. He just strung up a few mezzomandolins, as we call them - - F to D, whole step down. One of his Selmer style tenors is making it's way to me as I write!
    Will Patton

Eddy Davis.

Harley Marty

I’m thinking outside the box here. Blackbird make a composite type of guitar that they claim to be a very good gypsy style guitar. Maybe they could build you a custom tenor to your specs. I was considering doing that myself but in the end I went for a custom carbon fibre from Emerald Guitars here in Ireland. Emerald has recently released a carbon fibre jazz guitar called the Kestrel, that could make an interesting custom jazz tenor with one of their gorgeous veneers.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Patton View Post
    Joel is still messing about with projects that interest him. He just strung up a few mezzomandolins, as we call them - - F to D, whole step down. One of his Selmer style tenors is making it's way to me as I write!
    And a Martin 0-18t he refinished is headed to me 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Marty View Post
    I’m thinking outside the box here. Blackbird make a composite type of guitar that they claim to be a very good gypsy style guitar. Maybe they could build you a custom tenor to your specs. I was considering doing that myself but in the end I went for a custom carbon fibre from Emerald Guitars here in Ireland. Emerald has recently released a carbon fibre jazz guitar called the Kestrel, that could make an interesting custom jazz tenor with one of their gorgeous veneers.
    i would check with Blackbird. I loved their first eKoa uke and I asked whether they were considering making a similar mandolin and they declined. I don’t know how modular their designs are since I think the necks may be of one piece with the bodies.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Eddy Davis.
    Tiny Grimes, too. Although Tiny played in the chicago tuning.

1948 Gibson ETG-150 just hit the classifieds: https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/179137#179137
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Eddy Davis.
    Quote Originally Posted by lowtone2 View Post
    Tiny Grimes, too. Although Tiny played in the chicago tuning.
    Funny that this thread is supposed to be about OP acquiring an arch top TG and not acquiring a tenor guitarist who is no longer with us.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I'm a luthier now venturing into the world of tenor guitars. This is what's on my bench right now. This one will have 5 strings and yes, a floating bridge and tailpiece. The top is carved, but not the back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211129_105230718.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	316.4 KB 
ID:	197837Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211129_105335323.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	413.9 KB 
ID:	197838

12. The following members say thank you to Brett S. for this post:

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

That looks great, you should start a new thread and tell us more about it like scale length and wood choice …..

14. The following members say thank you to fox for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by fox View Post
    That looks great, you should start a new thread and tell us more about it like scale length and wood choice …..
    Thanks! I'll do that.

Quote Originally Posted by shaundeane View Post
    Scotty! Good to hear from you, amigo. And, thank you. I also had my eye on one of those Northfields. Joe K. Walsh uses one in the Peghead Octave class I took and it sounds great. Nothing to do with him, I'm sure :-) And yes, I did experiment with tenor banjo. I bought a nice Paramount and did a neck reset, fret job but then passed it along. Looking for something a little more soothing at the end of a day and also, it was HEAVY. I dropped out of an eBay auction on a Gibson 150 last week. It had issues but could have been nice. Shoulda hung in, as it sold for just a little bit more than I dropped at. Oh well. Hope to see you in a class again soon and hope the new office is going great.
    Shaun,

Sorry to reply so late but I'm only now just seeing your post. Yes, life is good here in the land of fish tacos. I'm still jonesin' for a nice arch top OM but the 5 string tenor arch top by Brett S. is really tempting. I could see tuning it CGDAE. I could also envision a 10 string five course version too, wahoo!

See you in class.

-Scotty
    Play that which you feel is groovy, get down with your bad self, and shake your money maker if it makes sense for you to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by fox View Post
    I just started a new thread. https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...22#post1846522