Thread: Cavaquinho?

Default Cavaquinho?

Just picked up this beauty at an antique store. It was identified as a "Cavaquinho: Brazilian/Portuguese Mandolin". Tried to tune it GDAE. The strings fought back, so I got them into 5ths but all a minor third down. If I wanted Mandolin tuning, would that just be a matter of getting the right strings? I'm a keyboard player, new to the string world. Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cavaquinho.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	810.4 KB 
ID:	196662

Default Re: Cavaquinho?

Cavaquinho is really more of a uke than a mandolin. Portugal and Brazil both have great mandolins and mandolinists. Normal tuning for cavaquinho is d-g-b-d (like on a 5-string banjo), and I'm told in Brazil you're cheating if you put the high d up to e (to get guitar tuning).

If you really wants fifths, you may want to find different strings for it.

Oops, just looked at your photo. It is probably some sort of Portuguese mandolin, but not a cavquinho. What's the string length?

3. The following members say thank you to Bruce Clausen for this post:

If I hold it up to my new F-model Mandolin, the nut to bridge length lines up. Same for the fret positioning (pretty much). Is the idea that a Cavaquinho has a different string length and isn't just a Mandolin strung differently?

Cavaquinho has a guitar-shaped body and is strung singly, not in unison pairs. In my experience (choro jams) it's strung pretty light and used as a strumming instrument, while the mandolin is used for solo lead playing.

There are some experts here that will know much more...

Quote Originally Posted by Erik-Kenyon View Post
    If I hold it up to my new F-model Mandolin, the nut to bridge length lines up. Same for the fret positioning (pretty much). Is the idea that a Cavaquinho has a different string length and isn't just a Mandolin strung differently?

That is definitely a bandolim and not a cavaquinho. The twist is that is a bandolim with Preston tuners and those are a different beast; a trademark of the Portuguese guitar. You usually need a little devise that twists the non-loop end of the string into a tight loop so it will hook on the tuner. I am not familiar with a mandolin string producer who makes strings looped at each end, but others can correct me there.

As mentioned, a cavaquinho is like a uke and is strung in single courses.
    2020 Girouard Concert Oval A
    2019 Eastman MDO-305
    2018 Big Muddy M-11
    1880s Umberto Ceccherino bowlback
    2016 Kentucky KM-150

7. The following members say thank you to Sub-optimal_Mando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Erik-Kenyon View Post
    I have a delvecchio resonator cavaquino that I've tuned to GDAE with medium gauge mandolin strings, and it sounds great. It has a 13" scale length, shorter than most mandolins. Since they have four strings not eight, less pullin' on the neck. May need to play with string gauges to find what's optimal for the scale length and robustness of your particular instrument.

9. The following members say thank you to mjbee for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mjbee View Post
    I have a delvecchio resonator cavaquino that I've tuned to GDAE with medium gauge mandolin strings, and it sounds great. It has a 13" scale length, shorter than most mandolins. Since they have four strings not eight, less pullin' on the neck. May need to play with string gauges to find what's optimal for the scale length and robustness of your particular instrument.
    Oops - just looked at that photo and noticed the headstock. I agree with sub-optimal: doesn't look like the cavaquinos I know.

I build cavaquinhos. That is not a cavaquinho.

12. The following members say thank you to Jeff Hildreth for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Clausen View Post
    Cavaquinho is really more of a uke than a mandolin. Portugal and Brazil both have great mandolins and mandolinists. Normal tuning for cavaquinho is d-g-b-d (like on a 5-string banjo), and I'm told in Brazil you're cheating if you put the high d up to e (to get guitar tuning).
    Most players use the aficionao traditional, but I've seen books where they tune it with an e on the 1st string, aficionao natural, for certain things.

Think you have one of these (recent Dusepo posting).
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post: