Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Arthur Stern

Default Re: RIP Arthur Stern

The Stern Studios family is deeply saddened by the loss of our beloved Arthur Issac Stern who passed peacefully on September 22, 2021. His impressive 45-year career as an architectural glass and stained glass artist comes out of the American glass tradition, drawing inspiration from Frank Lloyd Wright and the Prairie School.

His vast knowledge of and passion for architecture, the visual arts, music of many genres, the mandolin, classic cars, and generations of beloved Maine Coon cats that served devotedly as studio assistants was shared by many of you. His essence lives on in the play of light on glass, in the space between musical notes, in his exquisite designs, and in the memories we share.

A comprehensive obituary of his extraordinary life will be published in the coming days. Arthur Stern Studios, including the gallery, remains open. We will gather to celebrate Arthur, our extraordinary friend, in 2022.

Arthur Issac Stern (18 June 1950 – 22 September 2021)

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to SternART For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Rest In Peace.

so sorry to see this. i, too, appreciated reading his posts on the cafe. a real loss to all the communities he touched.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

I have not met Arthur personally but have always enjoyed reading his posts. And being from CA, it's always a blessing to find other fellow mandolin enthusiasts online. He will be sorely missed.

Yes another Dear one has gone.
    He had as much enthusiasm as anyone you ever met about the music. He was honest in his critiques too ; ) But always endearing.
    My first days with the Dawg and T-Rice... He was there at every show, many of the recording sessions and informal jams too.
    A world class stainless artist and a sweetheart.
    Damn!

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mike Marshall For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    Also a friend of Dawg and a witness to lots of history when Dawg music was forming. A brilliant artist who create some amazing pieces in glass. RIP Arthur.
    So sorry to hear about Arthur's passing. I sent him a CD some time ago and he responded by sending me a vintage publication of Dawg's solos transcribed. I'll have to dig that up to re-appreciate it. Our community has lost someone special.
    Paul

Weber Custom Vintage A
    Alvarez A-100
    '82 Fender Bullet (USA)
    '55 Harmony Master Model
    '62 Harmony Tenor Guitar

Blog Entries

I was a fan of Mr. Stern. I always appreciated the time he took here and in private. His love of all things mandolin, glass, his panache, and his awesome Maine Coon Cats. My condolences to those who knew and loved Arthur.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

10. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

I am so sad to hear of the passing of Arthur Stern. I wish I could have known him in person. May he rest in peace.

So sorry to hear this news. I recall having some nice email conversations with him as well as postings here. RIP. Condolences to his family and friends.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I spoke to Art's wife yesterday after she returned an email I sent to Art a few days ago and she asked to speak to me in person. My heart sunk when I received that reply email. I knew it was not a good sign and like all of you on this thread was heart broken to hear the news of Arthur's passing.

Art was all of things previously mentioned and more. Brilliant, talented, funny and kind.

I met him over 3 decades ago on the Comando listserv and was at the first in person session he hosted at his amazing studio. I recall I hosted the second or third in person Comando event at my home in San Jose. We made many trips to his studio for jam sessions and also the annual Benicia Open Studios event. He attended many of our family lifecycle events. My children (now adults) were in grade school and middle school at the time. They loved Art too and he always connected with them. He loved to play music with my daughter Rachel who was a proficient fiddler by age 8. He brought my son glass samples (from his huge public and private commission) for a glass class he was taking inspired by trips to the studio. The school art teacher was stunned to see that a child had access to and could afford such high quality raw materials compare to the hobby store stuff the school had access to. The glass he brought down to San Jose was not arranged by me. Art must of had a side conversation about the class with my son and just did it spontaneously the next time he visited. He was like that all the time. Warm and caring.

I could go on with many other fond memories but will stop there for now. I just felt a deep need to go on the record today and say how much I will miss this wonderful friend of ours.

Dan Rosenberg

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dan Rosenberg For This Useful Post:

Arthur was the older brother of my childhood friend Fred, so I guess I've known Arthur all my life. When he moved out to California, he started to send back Grateful Dead bootlegs, which Fred and I listened to and quickly became Deadheads. But as I remained friends with Arthur over the years, I learned to appreciate mandolin music, especially Dawg music. So after playing bass for a long time, picked up a mandolin and enjoyed learning it. He always took time to listen to my bands recordings and would make sure to share music he wanted me to hear. His love of music, audiophile equipment, cats, cars, art and life was unequaled. I am going to miss my long time friend and mentor... fare thee well
    david a tauberg

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mandodavid For This Useful Post:

Yes, very sad loss. He was a kind, talented, and generous guy. Saw him just before the pandemic when he dropped by the house. I helped him set up a nice old Strad-O-Lin with a new bridge and fresh strings so that he could give it to a friend of his who was interested in learning mandolin. That was typical of him.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

18. The following members say thank you to Paul Kotapish for this post:

I never had the pleasure of knowing or meeting him but I know of him from his comments over the years.
    This is such a great thread. It’s nice to know that there are such good people in the world - we need that.

Kirk