Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: URGENT: Found stolen Pegasus case - Goshen, IN

  1. #1
    Isaac May Sam Bush Fan!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Mount Eden, Kentucky
    Posts
    156

    Default URGENT: Found stolen Pegasus case - Goshen, IN

    Hey all. I was browsing FB marketplace and came across a maroon Pegasus mandolin case for $60 with a suspicious description. I messaged the guy and he definitely isn't a player. I fear that there's a matching instrument for the case, too.

    I'm about to get the address so if anyone can help me locate the owner I will help connect them and authorities with the info. It is located in Goshen, IN which is near the Chicago and Kalamazoo areas.

    If you see the listing please don't contact the guy. I'm "buying" it from him tomorrow and I don't want to scare him off.

    I had my house broken into on Thanksgiving day last year and I'm going through the exact process of how I recovered my guitar.
    2005 Gibson F-5G Deluxe
    2012 JBovier FM5 (Mandola)
    2005(?) Kentucky KM-300e (Electric)

    2001 Taylor 310-K

  2. The following members say thank you to Sam Bush Fan! for this post:


  3. #2
    Registered User Vernon Hughes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Timberville,Va
    Posts
    828

    Default Re: URGENT: Found stolen Pegasus case - Goshen, IN

    I saw that and was actually going to contact him about buying it but didn't. Figured he didn't know what he had. Keep us posted.
    Hughes F-5 #1
    Hughes A model #1
    1922 Gibson A-2
    1958 Gibson A-5

  4. The following members say thank you to Vernon Hughes for this post:


  5. #3
    Registered User Charles E.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Saint Augustine Beach FL
    Posts
    5,454

    Default Re: URGENT: Found stolen Pegasus case - Goshen, IN

    Any updates on the situation? Were you able to recover the case?
    Charley

    A bunch of stuff with four strings

  6. #4
    Registered User Charles E.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Saint Augustine Beach FL
    Posts
    5,454

    Default Re: URGENT: Found stolen Pegasus case - Goshen, IN

    Charley

    A bunch of stuff with four strings

  7. #5
    Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Key West
    Posts
    13,570
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: URGENT: Found stolen Pegasus case - Goshen, IN

    Well, seeing as how Goshen is about halfway between Shipshewanna and Nappanee, you might be eating a lot of popcorn for a while until there's some activity on this matter. That's not to say the land of Goshen doesn't have its importance - it is the seat of Elkhart county, after all, not Elkhart, the bigger city - but it's not a metropolitan hub. It's an hour from Kalamazoo and two hours from Chicago. How this case ended up there and where it came from are anyone's guess.

    But the OP did say he was going to interact with the seller four days ago. It would be nice to know what happened.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

    Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

    Blues Mando Social Group
    Gibson Mandolins Social Group
    North Florida Mandolin Players Social Group

    My favorite bluegrass band

  8. #6
    Registered User Eric Platt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    1,457

    Default Re: URGENT: Found stolen Pegasus case - Goshen, IN

    Possibly the OP has been advised it would be best not to say anything more if there is something going on. Hopefully it gets resolved and we can find out what happened.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Platt For This Useful Post:


  10. #7

    Default Re: URGENT: Found stolen Pegasus case - Goshen, IN

    I’m perplexed. So, was this stolen from the OP or is he just sleuthing?
    There's nothing better than first-hand experience.

  11. #8
    Registered User Dave Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Northeastern Indiana
    Posts
    444

    Default Re: URGENT: Found stolen Pegasus case - Goshen, IN

    Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Well, seeing as how Goshen is about halfway between Shipshewanna and Nappanee, you might be eating a lot of popcorn for a while until there's some activity on this matter. That's not to say the land of Goshen doesn't have its importance - it is the seat of Elkhart county, after all, not Elkhart, the bigger city - but it's not a metropolitan hub. It's an hour from Kalamazoo and two hours from Chicago. How this case ended up there and where it came from are anyone's guess.

    But the OP did say he was going to interact with the seller four days ago. It would be nice to know what happened.
    Goshen College has a nice concert hall, which often features acoustic music - we saw Rhiannon Giddens and Gillian Welch there. I don't think there were any concerts of that type in the past few weeks, so the case probably was not swiped from a visiting band.

    D.H.

  12. #9
    Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Key West
    Posts
    13,570
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: URGENT: Found stolen Pegasus case - Goshen, IN

    Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    I’m perplexed. So, was this stolen from the OP or is he just sleuthing?
    Just sleuthing. For all we know, the sleuthing has continued via PM, not on the public forum, which could be seen by the alleged perp and screw it all up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hicks View Post
    Goshen College has a nice concert hall, which often features acoustic music - we saw Rhiannon Giddens and Gillian Welch there. I don't think there were any concerts of that type in the past few weeks, so the case probably was not swiped from a visiting band.
    I'm guessing the alleged perp lives there, but the crime may well have been committed elsewhere.

    There's a lot in this that is baffling, and hopefully the OP will apprise us of what's going on - after it's resolved. I would have thought it would have been resolved by now, is all. As Eric said, perhaps mum's the word for the time being.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

    Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

    Blues Mando Social Group
    Gibson Mandolins Social Group
    North Florida Mandolin Players Social Group

    My favorite bluegrass band

  13. #10
    Registered User G. Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Spring Lake Park, Minnesota
    Posts
    793

    Default Re: URGENT: Found stolen Pegasus case - Goshen, IN

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Bush Fan! View Post
    Hey all. I was browsing FB marketplace and came across a maroon Pegasus mandolin case for $60 with a suspicious description. I messaged the guy and he definitely isn't a player. I fear that there's a matching instrument for the case, too.

    I'm about to get the address so if anyone can help me locate the owner I will help connect them and authorities with the info. It is located in Goshen, IN which is near the Chicago and Kalamazoo areas.

    If you see the listing please don't contact the guy. I'm "buying" it from him tomorrow and I don't want to scare him off.

    I had my house broken into on Thanksgiving day last year and I'm going through the exact process of how I recovered my guitar.
    So.... where's the update???

    You made a pretty serious accusation that the case was indeed stolen. Then you were going to "buy" in attempt to reunite it with the owner.
    “Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

    My Mandos:
    1981 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #6
    2001 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #106
    2006 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #142
    2011 Weber Yellowstone HT
    2017 Boeh A5 #26
    2020 Boeh 2-point #31

  14. #11

    Default Re: URGENT: Found stolen Pegasus case - Goshen, IN

    I think it is a stretch to assume that it is stolen just because it is listed for sale at a good price, IMHO. Could be any number of possible explanations. For example, a local guy had a thrift store which he stocked by bidding on storage units...he always had great stuff and great prices and usually knew nothing about what he was selling or its history.

    OTOH, my buddy, a wedding photographer, had his equipment stolen from his car. It showed up on his local Craigslist and he showed up with the police and got it back. FWIW...

  15. #12
    My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    3,425

    Default Re: URGENT: Found stolen Pegasus case - Goshen, IN

    Quote Originally Posted by G. Fisher View Post
    So.... where's the update???
    The OP hasn’t logged on to the Cafe since 9/30, the day after this thread was started.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

  16. #13
    Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Key West
    Posts
    13,570
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: URGENT: Found stolen Pegasus case - Goshen, IN

    OK ... but he could still take a look as a lurker. If he did, and saw what people have been saying here, he should pipe up. This whole deal seems more than a little hinky.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

    Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

    Blues Mando Social Group
    Gibson Mandolins Social Group
    North Florida Mandolin Players Social Group

    My favorite bluegrass band

  17. #14
    My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    3,425

    Default Re: URGENT: Found stolen Pegasus case - Goshen, IN

    Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    OK ... but he could still take a look as a lurker. If he did, and saw what people have been saying here, he should pipe up. This whole deal seems more than a little hinky.
    Or he could not. The OP has been a member since Mar-25-2009 but has only 156 posts.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

  18. #15
    Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Key West
    Posts
    13,570
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: URGENT: Found stolen Pegasus case - Goshen, IN

    Facts are facts, and conjectures are conjectures. Sometimes they align; often they do not. People start threads all the time and rarely engage afterward, but that doesn't mean they aren't monitoring activity. Really, this doesn't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world.

    Mark Twain said, "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." Statistics can be interpreted this way and that, even in support of diametrically opposing viewpoints - the same statistics - and because they are assumed to be based on some sort of fact-finding, investigative analysis, carry with them the semblance of truth. It ain't necessarily so.

    This is a guessing game, no more, no less, until we hear from the OP. Meanwhile, I'm going back to lurking.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

    Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

    Blues Mando Social Group
    Gibson Mandolins Social Group
    North Florida Mandolin Players Social Group

    My favorite bluegrass band

  19. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    St Paul, Minn
    Posts
    553

    Default Re: URGENT: Found stolen Pegasus case - Goshen, IN

    Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Facts are facts, and conjectures are conjectures. Sometimes they align; often they do not. People start threads all the time and rarely engage afterward, but that doesn't mean they aren't monitoring activity. Really, this doesn't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world.

    Mark Twain said, "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." Statistics can be interpreted this way and that, even in support of diametrically opposing viewpoints - the same statistics - and because they are assumed to be based on some sort of fact-finding, investigative analysis, carry with them the semblance of truth. It ain't necessarily so.

    This is a guessing game, no more, no less, until we hear from the OP. Meanwhile, I'm going back to lurking.
    Another sidetrack....I retired from design engineering just over 10 years ago. I used to have this quote on my wall. "Statistics are a group of numbers looking for an argument".

    That said, it really would behoove folks to follow up on things like this...

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajh For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •