Thread: George Frayne (Commander Cody), RIP

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Default George Frayne (Commander Cody), RIP

Saw the notice on FB.

CC and The Lost Planet Airmen.....definitely my favorite country-rock outfit.

2. The following members say thank you to mandocrucian for this post:

Ranald 

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: George Frayne (Commander Cody), RIP

Well, that's a shame. I really liked that band, Commander Cody and The Lost Planet Airmen. Their first album was phenomenal, got a lot of play back in the day. I'm not the only, either. A band sprang up in CT of people who modelled themselves after them, in fact were so inspired by them they even called themselves "Eight To The Bar" - and there were eight of them - and they are still at it today, after several personnel changes. Also, in recent years I did some sitting in with an outfit whose lead singer did plenty of those kinds of story songs with a ton of verses and a boogie woogie beat, including "Hot Rod Lincoln." RIP, Commander.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Fun band. R.I.P. Commander Cody.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlanN For This Useful Post:

“Mama Hated Diesels” is one of my all time favorite songs. Saw them one time. A great band.

RIP George. Great music. Always loved their version of Smoke! Smoke! Smoke! (That Cigarette)

How about "Lost in the Ozone Again"?

That's very sad. I met the Good Commander a couple of times at Dingwalls in London and had a chat with him and Bill Kirchen. Bill comes over to the UK quite a lot and I like to remind him that I was at the first ever CC & His LPA concert in the UK at the Reading Festival in August 1973. I seem to recall they had landed at Heathrow Airport 25 miles away and driven straight to the concert site and come straight on stage- a great performance- very similar to the live album that was released a few months later. I was amused by this quote from a review of that Armadillo World Headquarters live album:

"These guys still sound like a bunch of acid-addled slobs from the Midwest, even if they live in Berkeley and spend most of their time on the road. And they've got that whole pre-rock era sewed up, whether it be jump-blues or boogie-woogie or R & B, they're filtering through their mock-country sensibility."

They were great and deserved better. There's a book about their demise that I read nearly 40 years ago called "Star Making Machinery: Inside The Business of Rock & Roll."
    When I spoke to the Commander he mentioned that maybe they should not have gone with Warner Bros- but that was a hip label at that time. Of course, that pressing plant mistake that led to them being banned because country DJs thought they were going to play the Gospel-ish "Shall We Meet" instead led them to playing the very risqué late 30s song "Everybody's Doin' It"! Here it is! Be warned- family website etc! This track was not put on the UK album- it was replaced by the single version of "Watch My 38" a track from" Hot Licks, Cold Steel and Truckers' Favorites,"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LInn_l146co

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    That's very sad. I met the Good Commander a couple of times at Dingwalls in London and had a chat with him and Bill Kirchen. Bill comes over to the UK quite a lot and I like to remind him that I was at the first ever CC & His LPA concert in the UK at the Reading Festival in August 1973. I seem to recall they had landed at Heathrow Airport 25 miles away and driven straight to the concert site and come straight on stage- a great performance- very similar to the live album that was released a few months later. I was amused by this quote from a review of that Armadillo World Headquarters live album:

"These guys still sound like a bunch of acid-addled slobs from the Midwest, even if they live in Berkeley and spend most of their time on the road. And they've got that whole pre-rock era sewed up, whether it be jump-blues or boogie-woogie or R & B, they're filtering through their mock-country sensibility."

They were great and deserved better. There's a book about their demise that I read nearly 40 years ago called "Star Making Machinery: Inside The Business of Rock & Roll."
    When I spoke to the Commander he mentioned that maybe they should not have gone with Warner Bros- but that was a hip label at that time. Of course, that pressing plant mistake that led to them being banned because country DJs thought they were going to play the Gospel-ish "Shall We Meet" instead led them to playing the very risqué late 30s song "Everybody's Doin' It"! Here it is! Be warned- family website etc! This track was not put on the UK album- it was replaced by the single version of "Watch My 38" a track from" Hot Licks, Cold Steel and Truckers' Favorites,"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LInn_l146co
    We’ll, they got their start in the Midwest while at the University of Michigan. What a great band, sorry to hear that the Commander has been relived of duty.
    Living’ in the Mitten

Years ago I watched a video on the Cafe that showed someone with a mandolin covering Hot Rod Lincoln. Can’t find it anywhere. Anybody know how to locate it? Would love to learn it.

There is no video on this one, but this might be the thread you were remembering?

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...n-for-5-string

Sad news. Never saw the band but did meet Bill Kirchen at a festival in West Virginia a few years ago. He was still murdering the Telecaster.