Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My MAS is cured.

Default Re: My MAS is cured.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gnann View Post
    But you did look, right?

No sir I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I bought the last mandolin I would ever buy about four mandolins ago.
    Great quote! Thank you

Having sworn I would adhere to a "one in, one out" policy, I now am in a situation where I can't decide which one should go out. Might have to break my oath and leave those decisions to the kids.

4. The following members say thank you to John Soper for this post:

I have a couple friends who have been happy with one or two instruments for as long as I’ve known them. I can see where a nice old Gibson and a beautiful Flatiron would satisfy a person.

Unfortunately that is not me. I am always on the hunt for the next one. I acquire, accumulate and giggle every time the new one shows up!

If there's a mandolin somewhere out there that feels and sounds better than mine, I'd never be able to afford it. And if I had another mandolin that wasn't as good I'd never play it. So one does it for me, no MAS [pun intended].

I do have a guitar and a piano, though. So not exactly a one-instrument household.
    The first man who whistled
    thought he had a wren in his mouth.
    He went around all day
    with his lips puckered,
    afraid to swallow.

--"The First" by Wendell Berry

Registered User mandolin breeze's Avatar

Happy for you, but I'm guessing you'll more than likely need a booster shot or two, or three

8. The following members say thank you to mandolin breeze for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I started a thread like this once. . .

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatt-dad For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by John Soper View Post
    Having sworn I would adhere to a "one in, one out" policy, I now am in a situation where I can't decide which one should go out. Might have to break my oath and leave those decisions to the kids.
    I've been using the 1-for-1 system for years, particularly in conversation with my wife. Funny thing though, my total number of instruments has still been creeping up. It's a real head scratcher.

12. The following members say thank you to bradeasley for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by bradeasley View Post
    I've been using the 1-for-1 system for years, particularly in conversation with my wife. Funny thing though, my total number of instruments has still been creeping up. It's a real head scratcher.
    Going to look at another one tomorrow. I promised my dh I'd put one up for sale if I buy it. I guess I'll just give it a really high price point

I did some "substantial" purchasing this year, and opposite from Mandoman1, adding all oval hole mandolins to my mostly F collection, a very nice "lucky" A1 find, a beautifully restored F4 and a very cool H1 mandola. I will say the difference in oval and F is substantial, and I find I enjoy playing both, but tend to use the F when jamming or performing.
    Needless to say I hardly browse the classified anymore and don't even bother with Reverb.
    So I think my MAS is cured for a little bit. Then again I did run into a very rare Rigel Mandola, always said I would buy one if I saw one.....
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Aw, no resonator? No batwing? No bowlback? No solid body? You're just getting warmed up!
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

Being satisfied with what you have and being cured of MAS are two very different things. I’ve had my A5 for over 13 years and my F5 for 7-ish now. But when I was in Nashville recently I went to Carter’s….TWICE! I left empty handed and very satisfied with what I have but you never know when MAS will resurface….

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sgarrity For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    Being satisfied with what you have and being cured of MAS are two very different things. I’ve had my A5 for over 13 years and my F5 for 7-ish now. But when I was in Nashville recently I went to Carter’s….TWICE! I left empty handed and very satisfied with what I have but you never know when MAS will resurface….
    You are right. Should have said satisfied. Especially for the money spent. Got a great deal on both of my mandolins. I was very pleased with the tone of the Flatiron Performer A. I expected it to be good, but it is better than I thought it would be. I think Charlie Derrington was the man at Gibson when this mandolin was built in 2000. Of course we all know Charlie was the man for the incredible work he did on Bill Monroe's Loar.

A Heiden, Gilchrist, Kimble, Dudenbostel, etc. would be incredible, but all are above my budget. I am very happy and satisfied with my 24 Snakehead A-Jr and the 2000 Flatiron Performer A.

I admire your discipline leaving Carter's empty handed, but you have some fine mandolins and I have enjoyed watching the videos of you playing for years now.

19. The following members say thank you to MandoMan1 for this post: