Thread: Eastman Tailpiece Replacement Available for Free

Default Eastman Tailpiece Replacement Available for Free

I had an E string post on my Eastman 515 tailpiece snap off a few weeks back. Contacted Eastman (props to their customer service) and they sent a replacement which just arrived. I already installed a James, as I was gigging sooner than Eastman could ship, so I am posting this Eastman replacement for free (just arrange shipping) for anyone who needs one. Just shoot me a message if you find yourself in the same boat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210917_104604.jpg 
Views:	485 
Size:	297.4 KB 
ID:	196335

Default Re: Eastman Tailpiece Replacement Available for Free

I went through the same experience (same model, same post) and they shipped me a new one, didn't even ask if I was the original owner. Of course it took a few weeks, coming from China. I have a James on my #1, they are the bee's knees.

Not sure about yours, but the 515 I inherited is a really loud mandolin. The E and A strings are very strong and full. Not subtle in any way but punching way above it's weight class.

Mine is decent in volume. Still hard to hear myself in a multi-banjo jam. After replacing the bridge and now the tail piece it is sounding pretty great. I need some fret work now and a good set up.

When the tailpiece on the MDC 805 mandocello I used to own let go, Eastman rep took one off a new instrument just shipped from China, and sent it to me as a replacement. It was an improved design, not likely to let go at the "hinge" like the old one.

They kept the de-tailpieced 'cello in stock until another tailpiece came in. I always cite this as an example of customer service going the extra mile for a customer.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

5. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

This thread is interesting to me for sure. I had an E string post snap off on my Eastman MD505 a few weeks ago. I called and talked to James and Dennis at TMS, and they arranged for Eastman to send me a new tailpiece. i think there must be a weakness in the design of the tailpiece since several of us had had the same (or similar) problem. I guess if the new one breaks, I should go with a James (not sure what a James is, but they must be good).

The new ones don't look a lot different from the one on my 2009 Eastman. I wonder what they changed? The metal? I know the plating changed on the 815 from "gold" to nickel, but I didn't think there was any other difference in the tailpiece throughout the line. Kind of disappointing, I'm sure!

Name:	IMG_7228.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	160.4 KB 
ID:	196350
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

The extra tailpiece has found a new home.

Playing on the porch

[QUOTE=keith.rogers;1837355]The new ones don't look a lot different from the one on my 2009 Eastman. I wonder what they changed? The metal? I know the plating changed on the 815 from "gold" to nickel, but I didn't think there was any other difference in the tailpiece throughout the line. Kind of disappointing, I'm sure!

The luthier who replaced my tailpiece said that Eastman had a "bad run" of supplied tailpieces. Sounds like bad alloy mix by their vendor. I had the D string post snap and Eastman provided for free replacement and no charge for swapping it out. Mild inconvenience, good experience. My tailpiece was on 2017 MD515.
    ---
    2021 Ellis F5 Special #564 mandolin
    1928 Roth violin
    2016 Eastman MD515 mandolin
    1907 Foltz violin

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GMorgan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cassetteland View Post
    I had an E string post on my Eastman 515 tailpiece snap off a few weeks back. Contacted Eastman (props to their customer service) and they sent a replacement which just arrived. I already installed a James, as I was gigging sooner than Eastman could ship, so I am posting this Eastman replacement for free (just arrange shipping) for anyone who needs one. Just shoot me a message if you find yourself in the same boat.

Name:	20210917_104604.jpg 
Views:	485 
Size:	297.4 KB 
ID:	196335
    Is this still available?

- - - Updated - - -

Is this still available?

I’d contact Eastman

Mine is not broken, but I emailed Eastman to ask if i could buy an extra (in case it broke, I wanted a spare on hand). They said for my mandolin model, the 515V, I should not have tailpiece problems. They must have different revs of tailpieces they they are deploying.

Does a James tailpiece fit without modifications?
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

Lower E-string post broke off the tailpiece of my 2014 MD-605.
    I noticed the 2nd E-post is lifted higher than the G, D, and A-posts—which makes me wonder if it’s on its way too. In any case, I’ve got both E’s hooked on there for the time being, so at least I can keep playing the instrument.
    Hopefully it will hold up til Eastman gets a new tailpiece to me. They were very good about it in our email exchange.

Eastman MDA 315 mandola: tailpiece 2nd E pin let go Dec 23; checked MandolinCafe to see what to do; contacted Eastman; replacement arrived today. Good instrument, good service.

Eastman are top notch when it comes to customer service. Twice I've had an issue, and twice they jumped to. They definitely go the extra mile. Bostin company.

Hi, I had the same exact thing happen to mine. Is this still available? I'd be happy to pay for shipping. Thanks a bunch.

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Statman View Post
    Eastman are top notch when it comes to customer service. Twice I've had an issue, and twice they jumped to. They definitely go the extra mile. Bostin company.
    I will share I was disappointed at the complete lack of communication from Eastman when I requested a tailpiece replacement after the initial response. I had to enquire to find it was "over in shipping." Fully two weeks after I responded with shipping info, it finally showed up. Ironically, I had just emailed that morning to ask if there was a USPS tracking number I could access. (Yes, I was surprised as well I had to ask. )

I asked the local retailer if their regional rep had one. I was told all warranty stuff goes through the website.

In the future I more likely will spend the money on an Allen. There's a value to never again having to worry, and not being frustrated by a substandard customer support experience. It makes me rethink the MD-614 on order, having really enjoyed the 515 and El Rey. Glad to hear that others are being spared the frustration that a simple, proactive email or two could have avoided.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10