Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Bela Fleck Album out - My Bluegrass Heart

Default Re: New Bela Fleck Album out - My Bluegrass Heart

I've always liked Bela's bluegrass picking. "Crossing the Tracks" was wonderful in my ears but his style went a different direction later and I haven't bothered to listen to anything much by him since. I always wished that "Drive" had more drive to it and "My Bluegrass Heart" was more heartfelt.

What an amazing master of the banjo and guitar. All his music is top shelf, on the highest level, and the timing is flawless. With so many folks liking it so much, I wish I could join them. To me it's "new acoustic music" and a different genre than bluegrass. I'm pretty sure we know how Mr. Monroe would feel about it.

Sorry folks...I appreciate the skill and talent, but it leaves my ears cold. With all due respect....dan

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Biddix View Post
    Round Rock is on the album, track #7. Great song as well! Sierra Hull on the mandolin! For anyone reading this, here is the Youtube:

https://youtu.be/WWyX-SixOSk
    Doesn’t float my boat. Glad folks like it, but it was 7 minutes of tedium for me.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Not an album for folks that don't like music played on bluegrass instruments that isn't traditional bluegrass. In my mind, Bela and the others like him are incredible musicians and a lot of their music leaves the 1-4-5 in the dust. I've only listened to the first of this 2 cd set (several times) and I'm almost unable to put the 2nd cd on because I can't stop listening to this one. They quote so many progressions and licks with such fluidity that I find myself slapping my leg often. To me, one of the best recordings in my library. I think it's a hoot.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dale Ludewig For This Useful Post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Bela is one of the best musicians in the world today. Anything he releases is important. I haven’t heard this yet, but with Chris Thile laysongs, this is a sterling year in acoustic music.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dan in va View Post
    I've always liked Bela's bluegrass picking. "Crossing the Tracks" was wonderful in my ears but his style went a different direction later and I haven't bothered to listen to anything much by him since. I always wished that "Drive" had more drive to it and "My Bluegrass Heart" was more heartfelt.

What an amazing master of the banjo and guitar. All his music is top shelf, on the highest level, and the timing is flawless. With so many folks liking it so much, I wish I could join them. To me it's "new acoustic music" and a different genre than bluegrass. I'm pretty sure we know how Mr. Monroe would feel about it.

Sorry folks...I appreciate the skill and talent, but it leaves my ears cold. With all due respect....dan
    For sure Dan. I can easily see this being like musical Vegemite: you like it or you don’t, not a lot of in between. It is, to me, a bit like listening to “A Love Supreme” or Gould’s interpretation of Bach’s Preludes & Fugues for the first time: a lot going on, so many ideas and interesting note choices that I just have to sit and listen.

No, this is surely not 1-4-5 bluegrass but I can see how a “bluegrass” musician that has spent their entire life on an instrument would feel the need to stretch and do their own thing. Sure, Bill might not cotton up to it but then again he thought Sam played too many notes but I think Sam is awesome so at a certain point what Bill thinks is irrelevant.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

7. The following members say thank you to John Hill for this post:

The name Bela says it all.

I just want to add mad respect to Michael Cleveland here. Not only did he learn and play these tunes on par with these other master musicians, but he did it without being able to see a chart to follow along with. Very impressed by that
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew Egerton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Egerton View Post
    I just want to add mad respect to Michael Cleveland here. Not only did he learn and play these tunes on par with these other master musicians, but he did it without being able to see a chart to follow along with. Very impressed by that
    Drew, I couldn't agree with you more. This is high level music, and Michael is so on point. In that Round Rock video you see Bryan Sutton look over at him in what looks to me like awe. I know I would be.
    Jake B.
    Charleston, SC

12. The following members say thank you to Jake Biddix for this post:

i'm not the most learned guy on the forum, and i mean no disrespect to anyone's taste. Bluegrass music may be the only genre that was created by one individual, who clearly defined it, so whatever Mr. Monroe played and said about it will always be relevant and the final authority. It's fine to play the tunes however one chooses, but there is a pretty clear standard established. There's surely nothing wrong with mixing styles and tastes, which happens all over this modern album, which is truly amazing acoustic music.
    Last edited by dan in va; Sep-21-2021 at 7:55am.