Thread: Weber Mandolin

Default Weber Mandolin

Hello Mandolin Cafe,

I have a Weber Gallatin made in ~2004 and it sounds beautiful for Jazz, Bluegrass, and really anything it wants to. A few years ago the neck basically snapped, even though I had been treating it veeery carefully. I took it to a luthier in my area and he fixed it, and told me I should use light-gauge strings only from now on. A couple days ago, someone asked my what gauge strings I use, and I told him that story, and he said that I might be able to tell Bruce Weber about that, and he might even give me a new mandolin. That sounds beautiful, and I'm so happy Mr. Weber is known to be that nice, but this mandolin has sentimental value, and it sounds wonderful, like I said earlier. I don't really want to trade it in, but having a second nice mandolin would be very useful, and would let me feel a lot more comfortable putting in pickups, and doing other modifications. So my question is this, to someone who knows this area of things: If I were to ask Mr. Weber for a new mandolin, would I have to give him my current mandolin, or would I be able to keep it?

Thanks so much for your help,

--The Mandolinian

Default Re: Weber Mandolin

I don't think you should assume that Bruce Weber will give you a new mandolin. He has a shop now where he's doing mandolin repair, though. Perhaps you should contact him about your options with neck repair?

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Em Tee For This Useful Post:

Call Bruce, he is one nice guy.

I love my Weber Fern, 2007, and just recently had my Stiver to Bruce for a new fretboard.

Please don't be shy, Bruce is very friendly and easy to talk to.
    Ph 406-580-6053 or 888-886-7598

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolinian View Post
    Hello Mandolin Cafe,

I have a Weber Gallatin made in ~2004 and it sounds beautiful for Jazz, Bluegrass, and really anything it wants to. A few years ago the neck basically snapped, even though I had been treating it veeery carefully. I took it to a luthier in my area and he fixed it, and told me I should use light-gauge strings only from now on. A couple days ago, someone asked my what gauge strings I use, and I told him that story, and he said that I might be able to tell Bruce Weber about that, and he might even give me a new mandolin. That sounds beautiful, and I'm so happy Mr. Weber is known to be that nice, but this mandolin has sentimental value, and it sounds wonderful, like I said earlier. I don't really want to trade it in, but having a second nice mandolin would be very useful, and would let me feel a lot more comfortable putting in pickups, and doing other modifications. So my question is this, to someone who knows this area of things: If I were to ask Mr. Weber for a new mandolin, would I have to give him my current mandolin, or would I be able to keep it?

Thanks so much for your help,

--The Mandolinian
    Bruce no longer owns Weber Mandolins (Sound to Earth). He sold it a few years ago. As has been mentioned he does do mandolin repairs. I can't think of anyone better to pay to fix your mandolin than Bruce. I'm certain he's more familiar with it than anyone else is.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

6. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Blog Entries

I appreciate you all bringing up Bruce's repairs on mandolins. I have contemplated having him do some work at some point, as the need arises. Good to hear Mike and Billy's recommendations. Thank you! Dan
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Thanks so much everyone for the advice, I'll take all this into account.

--Mandolinian

One more from me...I just had Bruce replace a fingerboard on another makers mandolin I own because I love the action on my Weber Fern that much!
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars