Thread: Weber Mandolin

Default Weber Mandolin

Hello Mandolin Cafe,

I have a Weber Gallatin made in ~2004 and it sounds beautiful for Jazz, Bluegrass, and really anything it wants to. A few years ago the neck basically snapped, even though I had been treating it veeery carefully. I took it to a luthier in my area and he fixed it, and told me I should use light-gauge strings only from now on. A couple days ago, someone asked my what gauge strings I use, and I told him that story, and he said that I might be able to tell Bruce Weber about that, and he might even give me a new mandolin. That sounds beautiful, and I'm so happy Mr. Weber is known to be that nice, but this mandolin has sentimental value, and it sounds wonderful, like I said earlier. I don't really want to trade it in, but having a second nice mandolin would be very useful, and would let me feel a lot more comfortable putting in pickups, and doing other modifications. So my question is this, to someone who knows this area of things: If I were to ask Mr. Weber for a new mandolin, would I have to give him my current mandolin, or would I be able to keep it?

Thanks so much for your help,

--The Mandolinian

Default Re: Weber Mandolin

I don't think you should assume that Bruce Weber will give you a new mandolin. He has a shop now where he's doing mandolin repair, though. Perhaps you should contact him about your options with neck repair?

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Em Tee For This Useful Post:

Call Bruce, he is one nice guy.

I love my Weber Fern, 2007, and just recently had my Stiver to Bruce for a new fretboard.

Please don't be shy, Bruce is very friendly and easy to talk to.
    Ph 406-580-6053 or 888-886-7598

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolinian View Post
    Hello Mandolin Cafe,

I have a Weber Gallatin made in ~2004 and it sounds beautiful for Jazz, Bluegrass, and really anything it wants to. A few years ago the neck basically snapped, even though I had been treating it veeery carefully. I took it to a luthier in my area and he fixed it, and told me I should use light-gauge strings only from now on. A couple days ago, someone asked my what gauge strings I use, and I told him that story, and he said that I might be able to tell Bruce Weber about that, and he might even give me a new mandolin. That sounds beautiful, and I'm so happy Mr. Weber is known to be that nice, but this mandolin has sentimental value, and it sounds wonderful, like I said earlier. I don't really want to trade it in, but having a second nice mandolin would be very useful, and would let me feel a lot more comfortable putting in pickups, and doing other modifications. So my question is this, to someone who knows this area of things: If I were to ask Mr. Weber for a new mandolin, would I have to give him my current mandolin, or would I be able to keep it?

Thanks so much for your help,

--The Mandolinian
    Bruce no longer owns Weber Mandolins (Sound to Earth). He sold it a few years ago. As has been mentioned he does do mandolin repairs. I can't think of anyone better to pay to fix your mandolin than Bruce. I'm certain he's more familiar with it than anyone else is.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

6. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Blog Entries

I appreciate you all bringing up Bruce's repairs on mandolins. I have contemplated having him do some work at some point, as the need arises. Good to hear Mike and Billy's recommendations. Thank you! Dan
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Thanks so much everyone for the advice, I'll take all this into account.

--Mandolinian

One more from me...I just had Bruce replace a fingerboard on another makers mandolin I own because I love the action on my Weber Fern that much!
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars