Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Always use a strap? Even when seated?

Default Always use a strap? Even when seated?

I'm so used to playing guitar/banjo without a strap while seated.

I gather, from reading, that a mandolin should always be strapped, even when seated.

Is that sound advice? My instruments hang around me in my office - I grab a guitar and strum it. The more I have to do to get set up for playing, the less inclined I am for spur-of-the moment playing. Quickly picking out an idea in my head.

I guess I need a mandolin strap at the ready for grabbing the mandolin off the wall...
    Last edited by Bazz Jass; Aug-23-2021 at 9:05pm.

Default Re: Always use a strap? Even when seated?

I almost never use a strap and when I do put one on it is only for drop protection it is supporting none of the instrument weight, even standing.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

3. The following members say thank you to John Bertotti for this post:

I always use a strap.

Jethro never used a strap.

……….
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

5. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

It depends on your physiology, posture , any back issues etc.

For me a strap is the only way of guaranteeing I have the mandolin at the right height and angle for tone and agility, and also corrects my tendency to hunch over the instrument - which wasn't such a problem when I was young.

But I still pick up the mandolin and play without strap plenty of times too.
    Bren

I am with Bren on straps. I find that a strap frees my left hand from taking the weight of the mandolin which can happen easily when playing strapless, and this can have an effect on left hand freedom. I usually play sitting down, but the strap is generally in use; same on my octave. I use a strap much less on my acoustic guitar. I find the guitar has a better balance and I am not so inclined to take the weight on my left hand.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Kelly For This Useful Post:

I agree with John. Getting the weight off the left hand reduces the tendency to grip the neck tightly and stymie its fluid movement. Nothing worse than “death grip” to kill momentum while playing.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Interesting I never noticed much weight on my left hand but now I am going to check. I have noticed strapless, standing tends to limit my range of motion with my picking arm. What I mean is the motion is limited to where along the strings I can play, like shifting close to the bridge or moving up over the fret board. Like other almost all my playing is sitting but I think standing is needed practice as well.

What I mean about tone is that with a strap I can much more easily angle the mandolin so my pick hits the strings at the desired angle.

This varies for everyone I guess. But I think that is something that's more critical on a mandolin than a guitar.
    Bren

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Davidjazz1.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	574.8 KB 
ID:	195949
    at a recent jazz jam before the variant...no strap ever sitting or standing!

I've never used a strap on a mandolin except to sling it around at Renn faires.

Playing on the porch

I've been playing mandolin for a bit more than 4 years and never felt the need for a strap. However, I always sit when playing and the F5 model sits comfortably. Even so, some of the reasons cited for using a strap are intriguing.

Play on and enjoy!
    ---
    2021 Ellis F5 Special #564 mandolin
    1928 Roth violin
    2016 Eastman MD515 mandolin
    1907 Foltz violin

14. The following members say thank you to GMorgan for this post:

Blog Entries

I would say one should always hold a mandolin correctly, but that certainly does not require a strap.

I have gone back and forth on straps. I go long periods strapless, and a few of my mandolins do not even have a strap button and are always played strapless.

But I also have a couple of mandolins that are on the heavy side for which a strap makes things much more comfortable. My resonator, and my five course.

I do not stand when I can sit, I do not run when I can walk and I do not walk when I can ride. (That last part from Churchill.) I can play strapless standing, if I have to stand.

And then sometimes I get in the habit of using a strap, need it or not, because, like wearing a tie, it is a piece of colorful customization that I can do easily.

By the way it is just as easy to hold a mandolin incorrectly with a strap as it is without. Just sayin...
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

You can do either, and be comfortable doing both. I like a strap and it's necessary for me when standing. Unless I am home sitting in a relaxed chair, I still use a strap sitting. It keeps my mandolin in the same place sitting or standing. That is important, especially if you are starting out.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

18. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Because of my guitar background, a strap just seemed to be part of the setup. So have always used it. Even now, it feels funny to sit without a strap on the mandolin. Will do it if switching between instruments, but generally like it.

It also helps position the instrument otherwise I play too far off to the right with the left arm reaching out for the neck. Again, a mechanical holdover from guitar playing.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I sit all the time and I don't use a strap. I've never actually found a way to use a strap that doesn't get tangled up in my hands, throw the balance off, end up falling off my shoulder or move the instrument while I'm playing. I've failed at strap using so many times!

That being said, it all depends on what you're used to or what suits your style. Should you always use one? Even while seated? Yes if it works for you better that way. The more you play, the better you'll understand the pros and cons and what suits your technique. I would never discourage someone from doing what feels right when it comes to making the mandolin feel secure in your hands. I find that a strap is too distracting and doesn't work for me, so I've only used one once, and that was when I was pretending to be a strolling minstrel during a play and needed my hands for other things. I started out as a bowlback player, and straps are seldom a thing for bowlbacks, and never changed. YMMV
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

21. The following members say thank you to Randi Gormley for this post:

I've often thought that best of all would be an assistant who would hold the instrument in any position for you. And in an inconspicuous manner so as not to distract your audience.

Actually, I have thought the above, but only for the fiddle. For the mandolin, I'd guess I'm Mr Average; standing I use a strap, sitting I don't.

23. The following members say thank you to ampyjoe for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

What you want is your mandolin to be in the same place relative to your body sitting or standing. Using a strap makes this easier to achieve. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to UsuallyPickin For This Useful Post:

Lots of interesting varied comments thanks!

I'd like to throw something else into the mix. In terms of the left hand potentially taking the weight of the mandolin when strapless...

I find A and F mandolins balance quite differently on my lap. The F tends to lurch neck down - I assume due to the extra weight of the solid wood in the scroll.

So yes, with an F I do feel the weight of the neck more on my left index finger, which I guess a strap might help with. I'll give it a try and see if it make any difference to my playing comfort.

I have never ever played an F! But when it comes to neck dive my Penguin is the worst! I have a strap for it but never while I am sitting. Funny how many different preferences and approaches there are. Then again considering the varied and diverse group of people we are I guess it isn't that odd!

28. The following members say thank you to John Bertotti for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I’m with UsuallyPickin, my strap is perfect for keeping the instrument’s position constant whether sitting or standing. The strap is never removed … when I have multiple instruments each has its own strap.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

30. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

I always use a strap whether sitting or standing when playing. Same goes for my tenor banjo and tenor guitar. With the acoustic guitar I only use a strap if I'm playing standing up. I find the strap prevents the weight of the instrument from resting on my left hand, so I can have a lighter touch when playing and better range of motion.

Having to open a case up and attach a strap to an instrument has never been a deterrent to playing for me - it's a routine established since I started playing electric guitar at 11 years old, it's like part of the ritual of playing from my perspective, though I realize that for others extra steps can act as deterents and respect that - we're all different.

Finally, if you don't use a strap, how will you ever experience the joys of Strap Acquisition Syndrome?
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:

I always wear a strap for mandolin but when sitting with a guitar, playing mainly bar chords I don’t use a strap.

Two of the main forces on a mandolin are gravity (no changing that), and the finger on the fretboard pushing the neck in a counter clockwise direction when looking at the right handed player from above. If you apply no other force then your mandolin will turn every time you fret a note. To counter this turning force, you can apply very gentle, and ever-changing opposite force with your fretting hand thumb (not recommended all the time), or apply a counteracting force with your right forearm on the body, giving a clockwise motion.

The axis for these two forces will probably be somewhere around your belly, I find that a strap can stabilise the forearm force.

Try playing with no thumb at all to be aware of the other forces involved.
    Last edited by Simon DS; Aug-25-2021 at 8:37am.

34. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

Always - there are too many constraints on your hand/arm movement, both L and R, without a strap. The strap stays on even in the case. (One strap has strips of leather sewn on as pick holders, which is very convenient. I wish the other was constructed the same way.)

D.H.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Hicks For This Useful Post:

I always use a strap. As has been said before, it helps to ensure that the instrument stays in a consistent position.

I've gone one step further and lined my leather strap with a strip of rubber (from an inner tube). This prevents slippage under certain circumstances.

38. The following members say thank you to gfury for this post:

FWIW, my first horizontal instrument was electric bass, and in The Evolving Bassist by Rufus Reid he argued for using a strap at all times so the bass is in a constant position. Took that to heart in 1978 and never looked back.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Blog Entries

I'm another one who never uses a strap on mandolin or Mandoloncello standing or seated.
    The mandolin design allows this, for either the bowlback or carved top, without having to make any contact beyond the edge.
    For the bowlback mandoloncello I use my foot on one of those A shaped guitar stands it sits in when not in use.
    That instrument rests on my thigh on a grip mat & I always play it at a similar angle to a classical guitar (maybe just a tad steeper than typical).
    The neck rests lightly in the groove above the knuckle between palm & index finger, where it can slide easily without friction being an issue.
    Some people think it's some kind of trick, but it's really just using the design to fit your body rather than making the body contort to the design. Once it's correct it is very solid with no slipping or wobbling about no matter how keen I get.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

41. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post: