Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hamlett Two-Point Review

Default Re: Hamlett Two-Point Review

Hey Kevin, how's the Hamlett holding up? It's been a little while.
    Samuel Acus

2021 Duff Two-Point
    2004 Weber Gallatin F5
    2021 Gold Tone 5-String Electric
    1936 (?) Kalamazoo A5
    1940s Regal Guitar

Blog Entries

Hey man!

Thanks so much for asking. I’ve actually been meaning to post an update as there’s lots to tell. Above all else, I can say emphatically that the Hamlett Two-Point continues to delight.

I’ve been on quite a mandolin journey since parting ways with that special Weber Fern back in 2011 or so. There have been some very good ones. A Morris and a Collings MT stand out as exceptional. Along the way, I was also able to get my hands on some nice Gibsons,Summit, Gil, and some Ellis models. They were all fantastic. It’s very gratifying to report that the Hamlett is in that class, amongst the best mandolins I’ve played.

It is consistently so and as I’ve gotten my way around it a bit more I’ve figured out how to pull tone in ways of which I was not initially aware. For example, it takes 11.5-41 gauge strings very well. As in, the heavier tension hardly feels noticeable, but it sounds BIG. I recently decided to beef up the A strings even more by using 17s on them instead of the 16s in the J75 set. It really adds to the bite. Even more specifically, I’ve been using D’Adarrio Nickels. They seem to fill it out in a way that is really pleasing. A little softer, a little more hum, a little less clang than standard J75s, but still with plenty of muscle.

Last week I picked it up from Jeff Hoestetter at Stringed Instrument Repairs in Red Lion, PA. He is a local legend and comes recommended by none other than Michael Lewis. He’s a true artisan repair person who can fix a hole in the top of your instrument if you need, or give you a great setup. He gave me the setup and I think fidgeted with the A string nut and bridge slots a tad to accommodate the 17s. He nailed it. His comment was, “that thing sure can kick.” When I went upstairs to the store he’s connected to and played it a little for a sales person, the sales person said, “Now that is what a mandolin ought to sound like. That thing’s for real!”

I, of course, am already enamored with it, but whatever Jeff did really optimized it. I’ve barely been able to put it down since last week. It now reminds me a bit of my old Weber Biterroot, which was notable for its intense volume, but it has a finer tone that that Bitterroot, plays much easier, and is physically lighter.

It’s freaking loud and plays like a dream. The action’s a bit high where I like it so it’s not liquidy, but still it’s very responsive and the notes are easily accessible with a relatively light touch. A delightful aspect of it is how sonorous the lows sound. They really hum and if I play it right it can do sweet songs like “Faded Love” or “Midnight on the Water” like a dream.

All in all, I love it! I’ll try to get a video of a jam I’m going to this weekend. It’s with one other player and she plays an awesome Gibson Mandolin Store custom model. It’ll be good to hear them side by side and I think will be helpful as a benchmark.

Stay tuned!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin Briggs For This Useful Post:

Whether it's jeans or mandolins, there's nothing like finding the right fit!
    2020 Northfield Big Mon
    2016 Skip Kelley A5
    2011 Weber Gallatin A20
    2021 Northfield Flattop Octave Mandolin
    2019 Pono Flattop Octave
    Richard Beard Celtic Flattop
    And a few electrics

5. The following members say thank you to urobouros for this post:

Blog Entries

Hey Everyone....

Although I am planning on making a short video featuring the Hamlett and my friend Ali's very nice Gibson tomorrow, here's a quickie involving two week old D'Addario Nickel Bronze 11.5-41 gauge strings with Ernie Ball 17 gauge A strings to beef things up. There's a round of "Billy in the Lowground," some heavy strums, and a few chops. Hope you like it. :-)
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kevin Briggs For This Useful Post:

Beautiful mandolin Kevin. If you like the .017 A string Siminoff Straight Up Strings has a set of heavys 11.5-17-26-41. I've played their mediums and really like them.

Adam

Summit County, Colorado

Have a J.D. and 10 years of sobriety, but no two point. Bought a Collings last year and a Pava recently. Saw a two point a few weeks ago and told myself to slow down.
    Hope you enjoy the Hamlett for years. I like it.
    Collings MT-0
    1940s Gibson A that needs refretting
    Old bowlback
    Considering a Big Muddy because I still regret
    selling my Mid-Mo

Blog Entries

https://www.facebook.com/susan.desan...623467022/?d=nThanks so much!

Here’s a 4th of July video showcasing just how far the tone has evolved at the one year point. Granted, I’m playing through a Schertler DYN-M pickup, Schertler Yellow pre-amp, and Bose S1 speaker. Still, thats the tone right there. It’s very close to how it sounds acoustically.
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

11. The following members say thank you to Kevin Briggs for this post:

Sounds gorgeous. I've heard a couple of really wonderful-sounding Hamletts--yours included.