Thread: Encouragement is magic

Default Encouragement is magic

I spent some time yesterday covering the first aid station at our local festival's pre-festival string camp. Sadly, I had to back out of attending the camp, but am volunteering on the medical side. I was sitting outside picking my mandolin just to pass the time and soak up the energy around the place a bit. I had been feeling down on myself lately about my mando playing. Fiddle is my primary instrument and what little time I've had to play the last few months has gone to that while my mandolin has been largely idle. Anyway, one of the instructors, who shall remain nameless since I'm not into name dropping, who is a top national mandolin pro, strolled by and said with a smile "nice playing!". Wow...I quickly stopped feeling like a schlub. In fact, when I got home, I was suddenly playing better than I ever had. Many of us know how playing with, and learning from better players can bring us up a level, but I was amazed at how much just a compliment and appreciation can also do the same when it comes from someone you respect musically. Inspiration clearly comes from many places...
    Last edited by Mainer73; Jul-22-2021 at 6:49pm.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mainer73 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Encouragement is magic

See the Good and praise it!
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Yes, nothing better than an unexpected compliment. I have also noticed that my own playing gets much better when I’m being challenged by other players during jams.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Connor View Post
    Yes, I have also noticed that my own playing gets much better when I’m being challenged by other players during jams.
    It's an amazing phenomenon. I wish I could experience it more often!

This winter I was visiting my daughter and grandkids with my wife who said my playing was too loud in the apartment so she banished me to the balcony. I proceeded to play and sing a few dozen songs on the balcony and two random neighbors stopped by to say how great it sounded. A guy across the street actually stopped in his driveway and listened for a half hour in his car. It totally made my day and encouraged me to keep playing

Tonight my band played a great gig (I played harmonica and vocals mostly) and a guy afterward said he loved the gig but that what he really enjoys is listening to my solo mandolin that I play and sing a few times a week on the patio at the brewery. That really made my night.

Well said Mainer. I always get a kick out playing a gig where you get some little kids up and dancing around. Just them finding some joy in live music.
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx

This reminds me of once when I was camping in a state park with my family. It was in the middle of the afternoon and I was sitting around playing O'Carolan tunes. A couple of ladies walk by and stopped for a bit to listen. One of them said to me, "I just returned from Ireland and your music sounds just like the music there." Made my day!