Thread: Weber brekke bridge thumbwheel and nut adjustment ?

Default Weber brekke bridge thumbwheel and nut adjustment ?

I have a question about the Weber bridge that has the thumbwheel and nut. I believe this is called the "Brekke" bridge. The design is meant so that saddle height can be adjusted under tension

Looks like this:

Name:  Weber F style bridge.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  8.1 KB
    Pic from here

My question is if it would be possible to reduce the nut/thumbwheel combo adjusters to just a nut or just thumbwheel adjusters. This would reduce the size or height of the adjuster around ~1mm or slightly more. Which to me is a large amount on a mandolin.

I realize that if I go with just a thumbwheel adjuster it would be difficult to adjust under tension. Honestly, I've never really needed or missed that feature on other mandolins that don't feature the nut adjustment option. I typically don't adjust my weber under full tension anyway.

I'm wondering if the threads would line up with other thumbwheels or nuts.

Thanks in advance, MS

Default Re: Weber brekke bridge thumbwheel and nut adjustment ?

Curious as to why you want to reduce the size of the adjuster. I could understand if you needed to lower the saddle and there was no room left, but you have plenty of room to lower your saddle.

A call to Bruce would get you the thread size, or simply take a nut to the hardware store.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

3. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Curious as to why you want to reduce the size of the adjuster. I could understand if you needed to lower the saddle and there was no room left, but you have plenty of room to lower your saddle.

A call to Bruce would get you the thread size, or simply take a nut to the hardware store.
    Pops1, thanks for suggestion. I've considered calling Bruce. In this pic above, that's not my mandolin. That is a pic that I robbed off another thread about these bridges. I am at my limit currently as far as how low my saddle will go.

Blog Entries

If your bridge is already at lower limit and you need lower, are you sure there isn't anything else going on with the instrument?

Vern is a member, you could PM him.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JEStanek For This Useful Post:

Bridger Products

The Brekke/Weber Traditional bridges used a 4-40 threaded nut. There were also two bridge base heights.

If your instrument has the taller bridge base (pronounced pedestals for the adjustment nuts to rest on): you could check with Weber for a replacement short base, possibly under warranty. Bruce at Montana Lutherie would also have them.

You could sand down the pedestals that the nuts rest on to get more adjustment.

*** If you do sand the pedestals down or reduce the thickness of the nut, you will also have to shorten the saddle posts to make sure that the saddle posts do not extend past the bottom of the bridge base when the saddle is adjusted all the way down as they could indent into your top if the base height has changed.

I also have a couple of 4-40 round knurled nuts off a cheap Loar style bridge (they came off a bridge for some reason long forgotten) that I can send you: .5 round and .106 thick

It just depends on how much adjustment you need to gain.

Vern Brekke
    Bridger Products, LLC

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VernBrekke For This Useful Post:

Thank you so much Vern! Talk about great product support! I sent you a PM. I have also reached out to Bruce. His support was great as usual. After discussing things I realize that it is time for a good setup/overhaul by better hands than mine. Jaime was correct in asking if something else may be going on. I only wish I'd had this work done during the pandemic shutdown. Now I have to put it off for a little longer due to some upcoming gigs. Live and learn I suppose. Thanks, Matt

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ky Slim For This Useful Post: