Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neck reinforcement vs a truss rod

Default Re: Neck reinforcement vs a truss rod

Well....they've been making upright bass necks for 400+ years with at least a gigantic 42" string length and occasionally in the 44"+ range with an average of approximately 300 lbs of tension. Nobody uses an adjustable truss rod on them & never have, but almost all contemporary builders use rigid carbon fiber rods under the fingerboard. Bass players are far more fussy about fingerboard relief and have a much better understanding of it than almost any mandolin player I have met.

Quote Originally Posted by j. condino View Post
    Well....they've been making upright bass necks for 400+ years with at least a gigantic 42" string length and occasionally in the 44"+ range with an average of approximately 300 lbs of tension. Nobody uses an adjustable truss rod on them & never have, but almost all contemporary builders use rigid carbon fiber rods under the fingerboard. Bass players are far more fussy about fingerboard relief and have a much better understanding of it than almost any mandolin player I have met.
    While I agree with this, I think you would need a pretty huge truss rod to be effective on an upright bass. That may have influenced builders decisions.

This gets to the question I wish I knew enough geometry, math and engineering to ask: What is the magic in such a design? Is there some angle here that ends up with the neck being in a central axis, not being pulled up too much and not being pulled down (at all?). I keep trying to see how the neck angle relates to something I can understand - levers and fulcrums - but as I say, I cannot get to the simple resolution.
    There's a reason for the general neck angle for the Gibson style mandolin. There's a reason for the general neck angle in a Guarneri violoncello. There's a reason for the neck angle of Condio's bass. Yes?

I have a cf bar. I think it was 3/8” tall and a bit narrower. I need to measure it because I am not positive. But my question is what size do you use? Do you mount it low in the neck or just under the fret board in the neck?
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

I usually use 3/8" by 1/8". It fits in a kerf from the table saw so installation is easy. I set them just under the 'board so I don't have to fit a cover stick.
    Usually, though somewhat dependent on installation, we simply rely on the stiffness of CF to control neck movement, so any depth is about the same. In reality, CF is more resistant to stretching than to compression, so if we can set the rod deeply in the neck and securely lock the ends we get more overall stiffness in the neck. Getting ends locked any better than setting the rod in epoxy is too fiddly for me, so I take the easy route.

6. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

I suppose a person could pin the end but it seems that is probably unnecessary.

Because we don't want it to sound like a banjo or make our fingers fall off.

Having never used cf will a standard five minute epoxy be the good?

I would use a longer drying time epoxy, it will be much stronger. I use 2 ton epoxy, there is better stuff out there, but this is available here.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

11. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Will do my stuff is good for 3900psi 5 minute epoxy. I’ll order some longer stuff.