Thread: Eastman Mando quality vs year

Default Eastman Mando quality vs year

As I am researching new 'used' Eastman mandolins, I am wondering if I should be aware of changes over the past 10 years or so. Should I be concerned about a 2015 model vs a 2019 model (MD815)? What should I be looking for if there are differences? Manufactured in the same plant? Thanks.
    Last edited by TonyC; Jul-14-2021 at 3:55pm.

Default Re: Eastman Mando quality vs year

Quote Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
    As I am researching new 'used' Eastman mandolins, I am wondering if I should be aware of changes over the past 10 years or so. Should I be concerned about a 2015 model vs a 2019 model (MD850)? What should I be looking for if there are differences? Thanks.
    I am unfamiliar with the MD850, though I have seen the 805 and the 815.
    Eastman 915 B Mando
    Eastman MD-314 Mando
    Eastman MD-524 Mando
    Godin A-8 Mando
    Eastman MDO305 OM
    Eastman ER1 Mando
    TC Bouzouki TM375 Zook
    Eastman MDC-804 'Cello
    Eastman E60M
    Epiphone "Hummingbird"

Quote Originally Posted by meow-n-dolin View Post
    Oops...MD815. Typed too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by meow-n-dolin View Post
    BTW...how do you like your MD915? I saw one for sale and wondered what it sounded like.

Teacher, repair person

A few years back, I had a 2009 Eastman 505 pass through my hands on a trade. I sometimes wish I had kept it-- it was good enough to gig with. I did some very minor set up work on it and sold for $500. It was a lot of mandolin for that amount of money. The only thing I'll mention is that I had to touch up some tiny chips in the finish, but I don't know whether they were due to careless handling or to any flaw in the finish formula.

The only recent issue ones I have played were 305's. I wasn't impressed by their tone or volume, but after all, they were the lowest end model; and they played in tune [after some adjustment] and appeared to be structurally sound. They were certainly suitable enough for a beginner.

Nobody has ever brought an Eastman to me for repair because of structural problems or a weak neck, so that speaks well for their durability.

6. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

TonyC 

BTW...how do you like your MD915? I saw one for sale and wondered what it sounded like.
    Well, I have only had it a bit over a month, though I have been playing it LOT -- a couple hours a day and three -- no, four -- public performances. How does it compare , sound-wise with other quality mandolins I have had? Well I have had a couple of comparable mandolins -- one a modified 70's Gibson F12 which was the loudest mandolin I have ever owned, and an R. L. Givens A6 (#533) which is the sweetest-sounding mandolin I have ever owned. Both are gone now -- the F12 to help pay for grad school, and the Givens lost in a fire. The Eastman is somewhere in between. In the short time I have owned it, is has already "opened-up" a little bit, and I suspect it will keep doing so.

In all honesty, it sounds only a little better than the lower-end Eastmans I have played -- but I always wanted a blonde mandolin, and I admit to liking a little bling in the way of nice woods and tasteful inlays (it also has that in common with the Givens.) I also have a gold-top Eastman as well as an oval-hole F-style, but those aren't directly comparable with the 915, due to differing design as well as material (mahogany backs/sides in the Gold-top.)

Overall, I am very pleased. But if they made an 815 in blonde, I have no doubt I would be just as pleased.
    Eastman 915 B Mando
    Eastman MD-314 Mando
    Eastman MD-524 Mando
    Godin A-8 Mando
    Eastman MDO305 OM
    Eastman ER1 Mando
    TC Bouzouki TM375 Zook
    Eastman MDC-804 'Cello
    Eastman E60M
    Epiphone "Hummingbird"

8. The following members say thank you to meow-n-dolin for this post:

As I am researching new 'used' Eastman mandolins, I am wondering if I should be aware of changes over the past 10 years or so. Should I be concerned about a 2015 model vs a 2019 model (MD815)? What should I be looking for if there are differences? Manufactured in the same plant? Thanks.
    Short ansoer, I would not be concerned at all.

Eastman was making well-thought-of violins before they branched out into mandolins and arch-top guitars, as well as even flat-tops. They are a small operation and use traditional methods, though adapted for larger production than a single maker, obviously.

The one thing about them is their neck, with a slightly narrower nut and more noticeable V. It's perfect for my hands, but not everyone loves them.

I have a 2009 815/V (was a good friend's) and not long after he got that one, I bought a 605 (before the "6" meant a pickup). I got that one because of how his sounded. Unfortunately, I got distracted by other things, and it sat, so I sold it to fund some recording equipment. That 605 (probably 2011-ish) had anything you could want, IIRC. When I kind of got the bug again this past Spring after setting up our son's entry "The Loar" model, I played a new 505 and it had me leaning hard to a new Eastman, but I knew I wanted an F and pickings were slim. I'd have bought one from The Mandolin Store, where I got the 605, because they talked me into waiting for their re-supply of Eastman Fs - to their loss, it turns out, because on our "breakout" roadtrip in May/June, we stayed with that old friend and he let me talk him out of his 815/V that's been sitting idle for a few years. Great "woody" tone. Of course, it's hard to buy an acoustic without playing it first, but if you can get a decent price, a used Eastman is not going to lose you money, if you decide to go somewhere else.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

10. The following members say thank you to keith.rogers for this post:

TonyC 

This is great advice and it speaks directly to my situation. I played a new 815V and loved it. It had a great tone, but also a larger price tag than I can afford right now. However, there is a used 815V model that I am intrerested in and was simply concerned that if it was from a few years ago, the quality might not be where it is today. Thank you for your story and input. If I get the mando, I'll let you know.

If I get the mando, I'll let you know.

Most definitely let us know! And good luck!!
    Eastman 915 B Mando
    Eastman MD-314 Mando
    Eastman MD-524 Mando
    Godin A-8 Mando
    Eastman MDO305 OM
    Eastman ER1 Mando
    TC Bouzouki TM375 Zook
    Eastman MDC-804 'Cello
    Eastman E60M
    Epiphone "Hummingbird"

I think the vast majority, like 99+% had good/excellent build quality.

I had a 505 and 605 from 2006 and 2010, they had the characteristic bright tone which i compensated with monel or silk/steel strings. The 505 had good build quality, the 605 had a crazy amount of finish checking and the binding shrunk and cracked/separated in a few places, all cosmetic and I kind of liked it but not everybody would

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...=1#post1503624

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...=1#post1153851

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...cracked-finish
    Last edited by gtani7; Jul-15-2021 at 2:50am.
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

14. The following members say thank you to gtani7 for this post:

TonyC