Thread: Big Muddy with silk and steel strings?

Default Big Muddy with silk and steel strings?

I’ve had a mid Missouri for a couple of years and it’s not seeing much play time. I’ve been seeing stuff online about silk and steel strings. I’m just curious if anyone has tried this combination. ?

Default Re: Big Muddy with silk and steel strings?

While not a Mid Missouri, I did use them when I had a Cripple Creek, oval hole flat top mandolin and I really liked them on that mandolin. I am currently using them on a teens A-4 and enjoying them on that instrument as well, better than Phosphor Bronze I had on.

the winding wire is silvered copper like on E-A-D strings on a classical guitar .

just a steel core A & E are normal steel medium gages.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I’ve experimented with Silk & Steel on guitars .... usually because the bridge was lifting or some other reason prompting me to find a solution to reduce string tension.

I have a Big Muddy Mandolin. I use Medium Phosphorus Bronze on it. The instrument needed a set up when I got it. The string height made it very difficult to play. Now the instrument sounds great and it’s a real joy to play.

Maybe a set up is the solution instead of lighter strings.

Mike Dulak Introduced me to silk and steel for Guitar in 1999 when I was looking for a nylon string guitar. He usualy had a few sets on hand (modified for mandolin, snip the brass beads off of guitar strings) for folks who were having trouble getting their finger tips toughened up. I love the sound as well as the touch.