Thread: David McLaughlin Style

Default David McLaughlin Style

Hi,

I want to know what David McLaughlin is doing when playing the mandolin in this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xequbytrS3s

This is his style and he does it in every song he plays. It is many of the notes in between the melody notes. I am guessing it is arpeggios or something, but I don't know and I want to. If it is that, how do I learn how to do it, and how do I learn how to incorporate it into the melody? If it's not that, what is it and how do I learn it and how do I incorporate it into the melody?

I can learn to play the notes that he is playing, but I want to learn what he is doing so I can put it into other songs. I can learn the basic melody and then want to take whatever it is he is doing and embellish the melody with it. I like his style compared to other mandolin players and want to learn how to do it.

Another thing that I am interested in is how to come up with different versions of the same tune while remaining true to the melody.

Thanks!

Lance

Default Re: David McLaughlin Style

Such a cool song! He is a super nice guy, I'd contact him and have him teach you what he's doing.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

3. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

I may have to ask him to specifically teach only that. I had some skype lessons from him earlier and said that was one of the things I wanted to learn, but didn't get that part.

Lance

Murphy Method has David McLaughlin dvd. Might be worth looking into.

Adam

6. The following members say thank you to addamr for this post:

I forgot to mention that there are a couple slow downer apps I use to learn tunes/songs. One is Amazing Slow Downer for audio the other is one called Audiostretch that a fellow Cafe member turned me onto last fall. Audiostretch lets one slow down and loop both video and audio, I just capture the snippet I want and work on it that way. Last, Vidami has a pedal that works with YT - and others - that lets you stop, slow, rewind, and loop so it’s a good practice tool for YT. Of course YT has a function to let one slow videos as well.

If you are the type to learn by ear he is just playing around the melody notes and adding a few Monroe devices that David and Christopher Henry teach in the Monroe Workshops. If learning by ear isn’t your thing then another lesson with him sounds like a plan.

Have fun!
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

8. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

He’s rocking out with bluegrass improvisation. It’s based on scales in the key of the chord changes.
    It comes from fluid understanding of scales and chords and blues/bluegrass specific scales, where one noodles(fiddles) around the melody, making sure to land on intentional anchor notes at the changes.
    When you’re not there yet in your learning, it seems like voodoo, but it is merely a trick that is made to look effortless.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

10. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by addamr View Post
    Murphy Method has David McLaughlin dvd. Might be worth looking into.

Adam
    It only shows how to play some of his songs and not the method behind it. But that reminded me that I had bought the part on arpeggios from Monroe Mandolin series that he and Christopher Henry put together.

Quote Originally Posted by bigskygirl View Post

If you are the type to learn by ear he is just playing around the melody notes and adding a few Monroe devices that David and Christopher Henry teach in the Monroe Workshops. If learning by ear isn’t your thing then another lesson with him sounds like a plan.

Have fun!
    Thanks for mentioning that! Adam's post reminded me that I had bought the part on arpeggios (and a few other things) from Christopher Henry when he first came out with his Monroe Workshops last year.

My mandolin has been needing a new nut for almost a year, so I haven't been playing it. I was finally able to get it to the shop to be repaired yesterday, so I wanted to start in again. I had forgot about me buying part of the Monroe Workshop until both of you helped me remember. Thanks!

I also have a slow-downer. They are an awesome resource!

Lance

He's very good at playing the changes while referencing the essential melody. The way to learn it is to transcribe his solos like that and analyze what he's doing relative to chord tones, melody notes, etc...He often plays a constant stream of down stroke 8th notes for one thing. And when he plays alternating up and downstrokes, it's so even that it sounds like down strokes.

He is often mentioned as a monroe style player, and he definitely started with that, but he's made it his own thing for sure. His solos are unmistakable, so fluid.

13. The following members say thank you to lowtone2 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassWarehouse View Post
    Hi,

I want to know what David McLaughlin is doing when playing the mandolin in this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xequbytrS3s

This is his style and he does it in every song he plays. It is many of the notes in between the melody notes. I am guessing it is arpeggios or something, but I don't know and I want to. If it is that, how do I learn how to do it, and how do I learn how to incorporate it into the melody? If it's not that, what is it and how do I learn it and how do I incorporate it into the melody?

I can learn to play the notes that he is playing, but I want to learn what he is doing so I can put it into other songs. I can learn the basic melody and then want to take whatever it is he is doing and embellish the melody with it. I like his style compared to other mandolin players and want to learn how to do it.

Another thing that I am interested in is how to come up with different versions of the same tune while remaining true to the melody.

Thanks!

Lance
    I agree! A great solo indeed. I would love for someone to post a transcription of this break. A TablEdit file would be even better. I know there are lots of people on this forum that can do this. I am not one of them.
    ....Rickker

There is not a secret recipe that will instantly teach you to solo like that. There is no "one, weird trick" behind it. It comes from working out hundreds of solos. You have to first learn to play the melody. Then mess around with it, adding and subtracting notes, changing timing slightly and any other tricks you can think of.

If the DVD shows you specific solos that is where to start. Then it takes thousands of hours to develop.

David is still participating in Chris Henry's Monroe Lineage Workshops. For every song learned (2x month) he submits a video playing it, talking about it. I am fortunate to have participated in the last year plus. Sometimes he is attempting to play the same notes as Bill, other times it is his own interpretation, but it is ALWAYS within his style. If you really want to learn David's style those workshops are worth checking out as you can see directly how he applies his own style to Monroe tunes. He is a great teacher and generous with his knowledge and experience. (Not to mention all the materials you get from Chris Henry and sometimes Mike Compton too!)

17. The following members say thank you to Josh Levine for this post: