Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1956 Fender Mandolin Serial #00005 HELP

Default Re: 1956 Fender Mandolin Serial #00005 HELP

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Well, Oregon is a big state. Baker City is in eastern Oregon and the estate was in the Willamette Valley ... that's a fair hike. So this is less than definitive, but at least you have a place to start looking.

I went through the entire estate auction, and notably, the mandolin was the only musical instrument. Mostly tools, a few firearm-related items, and collectible coins. So it's possible that the estate was not that of the original owner of the mandolin ... a musician's estate would be likely to have more than instrument in it. Hoppy might have sold this mandolin at some point. If he was playing a gig in Baker City in 2019 he might still be around.
    For sure this latest owner was a collector of many things. They are have 3 auctions of this collector. The auctioneer told me that she sold it to this guy a few years ago and that it was in an auction of a guitar repairman and collector himself but was not the original player. The past two owners were both in the same general area. It's now heading to Michigan.

Default Re: 1956 Fender Mandolin Serial #00005 HELP

Well, I am glad you found a buyer for it.

Here's one I missed that went for $4,250. It's listed as a '56 but it isn't one. (The "Original Contour Body" decal wasn't added until 1959, and a '56 would have a slab body!) Of course the inclusion of a vintage amp may have boosted the price a bit.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/203500628022
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls