Thread: Today in Mandolin History - June 29, 1999, David Grisman appeared

Fetches news & information NewsFetcher's Avatar

Default Today in Mandolin History - June 29, 1999, David Grisman appeared

June 29, 1999, David Grisman appeared as himself in history of jugband movie Chasin' Gus' Ghost.

This is a randomly selected event for today's date. For a list of all events that occurred on this date including internal and external links to these resources (interviews, audio files, historical links, etc.) visit the Mandolin Cafe's This Day in History.
    Posts belonging to this account are created by a software task, not a human. Don't understand what that means? This information will explain how this post got here.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Today in Mandolin History - June 29, 1999, David Grisman appe

This piqued my interest, of course. The presence of Dawg always does. Also, jug band music. And John Sebastian. And The J Band, which, though I haven't seen in person, some of its members I have, indeed played with and opened for over the years. Other stories for other times (and some already told).

So I investigated a bit. Grisman may well appear in the movie, but he doesn't play in it, as far as I can tell. There are 15 songs in the album, and he's not in any of them. So don't get your hopes up on that score. I'm still looking for the soundtrack album or track listing, which is bound to be different. But that's really to be expected. He's not a member of the band. But his history does go back with John Sebastian and Maria Muldaur, when they were all members of The Even Dozen Jug Band. So I'm sure he's got some good verbal input.

As to mandolin presence ... Nearly half of the songs - 7 of 15 - include the instrument. Two feature Geoff Muldaur, two feature Jimmy Vivino. But what really wows me is three feature Yank Rachell, the man himself. I'm going to guess they're from a show they did together, which further research should turn up.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

Name:  dawg.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  44.2 KB

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Thanks! As you said, Grisman appears as himself. I was curious to see what music was in the movie. I haven't been able to find a soundtrack album or track listing. It's a documentary, not a concert film, so there is bound to be more talking than playing - particularly from current participants. Its focus is on the history of jug band music, not its current status.

A couple more observations. Weir is mistakenly identified as "Bill Weir," in the blurb in the upper left corner, though they got his name right in the credits, bottom right corner. And I see that one of the producers is "Nevessa Production." When The Philadelphia Jug Band recorded an album in the late 90's, it was at a studio in Woodstock recommended by Sebastian called Nevessa. I assume there's a connection. I'll always remember seeing a couple of reels of tape in their shelves with "Yank Rachell" on them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chasin' Back Cover.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	328.2 KB 
ID:	194934

PS: This was a weekend recording session. On Sunday, Sebastian came by to see how things were going (pretty darned well) and was kind enough to pose for a picture with us. Of course we included it inside the CD package. Too bad about that bit of glare on Frank's nose.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nevessa with Sebastian+.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	461.9 KB 
ID:	194936
    Last edited by journeybear; Jun-29-2021 at 11:15am. Reason: just one more thing ...
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!