Thread: Pickguard connector for KM-150 or KM-140--What does it look like?

Default Pickguard connector for KM-150 or KM-140--What does it look like?

If you have access to a Kentucky KM 150 (or probably 140) you can likely answer this question in ten seconds. Longer than it takes to read this!

I was lucky enough to score (for a graduation gift for someone else) a Kentucky KM-150 on ebay for about $215 with shipping and tax. It was in VG condition--not perfect but okay--partly disassembled, but the only thing missing was the tailpiece cover and I easily found a new after-market one that only require a little bit of "pinching" to fit just fine. (They are not hard to find.)

I have, however, spent hours and hours and hours trying to attach the pickguard. I know it's not necessary, but it is a gift so I'd rather give it intact. The problem is the part of the attachment that supports the part of the pickguard over the mandolin. It is a U-shaped, chrome plated steel piece. You can see it if you look here

https://www.amazon.com/Silver-Pickgu.../dp/B00G9NQ1RI

or do a Google search for

Chrome Plt Scratch Plate Pickguard Mounting Bracket Screw for Mandolin

The side piece is attached well to the side of the mandolin. The long screw fits through the hole on the top of the side piece on the side of the mandolin. (I've inserted it both ways -- the shorter threaded side goes closest to the edge.) The other end of the screw goes through two holes in the side of the U-shaped support bracket in only one direction, and the top of the U-shaped support bracket has a hole in the top so that the pickguard can be screwed into it. On paper this seems to be a good solution. (Describing in words makes it sound more complicated than it is. Again, you can refer to the picture.)

The problem, and it is a big problem, is that when everything is aligned---the U-shaped support bracket does not sit evenly on the mandolin top. Part of it hangs over the F-hole. Part of it doesn't make contact, and it raised the pickguard too high. I've tried making all kinds of adjustments, turning it in the other direction, etc. but when the top of the pickguard is aligned with its proper hole, and the edge of the screw is aligned with the side of the mandolin, and the screw that goes through the pickguard to the bracket are all in place -- the bottom of the support bracket does not align and the top of the pickguard sticks up too high.

I thought maybe this isn't the correct attachment set up for this model of mandolin? Someone really could answer that question in ten seconds--I can't find one nearby to compare. I suppose I could just buy a new, different type for $20 since, if I pay myself even $15/hour, I've probably put $75 worth of labor-hours into this on thing -- but then again, a new one in a slightly different style might not fit either.

SOOOOOO -- first question (the easy question):

Is this the correct set up, especially the U-shaped bracket, for a Kentucky KM-150 mandolin? Is it possibly NOT the set up that the KM-150 comes with? (I drove to a music store a half hour away to look under the pickguard to compare but they were "out of mandolins.")

Second question: If this is the correct equipment, is it supposed to be uneven on the mandolin, partly hanging over the edge of the F-hole? Is the straight side of the pickguard supposed to sit so high off the top?

If you have access to a Kentucky KM 150 (or probably 140) you can likely answer this question in ten seconds....and when I do attach it properly, I can finally give this to the "lucky" recipient!

Thanks,
    Alan Spector

================================================== =

1917 Gibson A 1 (WONDERFUL SOUND...really...)
    2012 Loar v-400 mando
    Octaphone `
    Gibson Trapdoor Mandolin Banjo (OUCH!)
    Older Blueridge BR-OS Dread.
    Great old lam top 1970 Epiphone 000 size

50 year old Yamaha 12 string guitar
    Taylor solid spruce/mahogany 000-size
    LOAR L0-16 Guitar
    100 year old British Zither Banjo
    5-string banjo, Old Vega pot, 1963 at Folklore Center, NYC
    Older calfskin head 5 string Banjo
    Beautiful, pro 40 year old MINT Imperial 5 string-great sound (for a banjo)but SO heavy
    Short scale piccolo banjo
    Short scale Irish-type tenor banjo
    Another tenor needs a just a little fixing
    Old Resotone Harmony Tenor Banjo
    Fancy "Mother of Toilet Seat" tenor banjo
    (I don't even play tenor banjo...)
    Various banjo-ukes needing fixing

Ibanez semi-hollow body Electric
    Old Autoharp
    A uke in new condition
    Limberjack (they're great!)
    Calfskin head violin from Cambodia
    Calfskin head violin from Morocco
    African Drums, Kazoos, Harmonicas

AND

a frustrated wife who says: "You only have two hands. How many instruments do you need?"

(Well, an F-hole Flatiron would be nice. Also a Martin 000-28....)

Default Re: Pickguard connector for KM-150 or KM-140--What does it look l

This is the pickguard and bracket from my 98 KM-180s. I took it off because, even with the little felt pad, the square bracket was digging into the mandolin and leaving a mark near the f-hole. I was going to have it looked at, but never did, as I got a better mandolin and this one is my travel/beater/loaner. I think it's not a great mounting setup.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pickguard 1.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	370.1 KB 
ID:	194844Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pickguard 2.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	216.8 KB 
ID:	194845

Hope this helps.

Just realized the first picture is kind of blurry, but I think you can get the idea anyway.

PS. Is there really a correlation between number of hands you have and instruments you need? I can't imagine what that would be
    Last edited by Sue Rieter; Jun-22-2021 at 10:05am. Reason: Noticed blurry picture

Default Re: Pickguard connector for KM-150 or KM-140--What does it look l

.......a frustrated wife who says: "You only have two hands. How many instruments do you need?"

The quote i have always liked is "Be aware of the carpenter with only one hammer. He likely knows how to use it."

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajh For This Useful Post: