Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Chris Thile album

Default Re: New Chris Thile album

Oops sorry about the hiccup!
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx

Interesting discussion going on here. I've often tried to determine just what it is about Thile's work that won't allow me to warm up to it .
    My conclusion is that for me , its clinical and technical rather than soulful . And I realize that may not be the case for every listener , thank goodness . Thile explores and inspires and goes where 'no man-(dolin) has gone before' . Some of us , however , don't want to go there with him and for me, again , its because my heart doesn't resonate with a lot of the places he visits .

3. The following members say thank you to roysboy for this post:

Except for track 9, it seems to be stream of consciousness.

I think of Thile like a very talented 3-star Michelin chef. When you eat at his restaurant, sure, you're going to expect some sea urchin canapés, something with foam, and some kind of molecular gastronomy experiment. And you'll be hungry. But a good chef will eventually deign to give you something that just tastes good. I'd like Thile to cook us a steak some time.
    Amanda

-2007 Duff F5
    -2001 Stiver F5
    -Blueridge BR-40T Tenor Guitar
    -1923 Bacon Style-C Tenor Banjo

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda Gregg View Post
    I'd like Thile to cook us a steak some time.
    This is some of his more "meat and potatoes" style work. Really love this duo.

Y’all, give the man some room to breathe. He went from full on NYC music scene to trapped in his house and his in-laws’ place for over a year, hiding in closets and garages and his car to give us some online performances, a couple of which I frequented to help get me through this year (I’m a doc, and the past year + has been a tough one. Many thanks also to multiple other “Live from Here” performers and Jason Isbell and Amanda Shires for their online presence as well. Lord, I looked forward to some “IsoLounging” and “Live from Home.”

You don’t have to like it, nor should you feel like you have to, and I appreciate those of you who are in the “not for me” camp. But, sheesh, even Garth Brooks went Chris Gaines for a while…

All that to say that I think much of this album would actually come across better live. When you see the man into the music, moved by it, feeling it, and the emotion behind it, it can dramatically change your perception of what the songs mean to you. I’d welcome the chance to have that experience…come back to that acoustically amazing room in Wingate, NC, Chris!!

Great observation CES. I mentioned earlier Duke Ellington and I have found his live recordings have an energy (The Great Paris Concert or Live at Newport) that just doesn't come across one a studio cut of the same tune.
    And so I'm guessing it is with Thile. I've never had the chance to see him live. His YT videos of live performance seem to have a fun vibe that, I feel, don't come across on his studio stuff.
    I /we played warm up for an artist whose album I really liked. Stage performance, really poor. (Won't mention names). So I guess it can happen both ways.
    Sometimes I wonder if the studio experience doesn't kinda suppress the spontaneous energy that some artists thrive on.
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx

It's almost a pity he plays mandolin, it seems like that makes it very difficult to connect with the right audience given the critical reception this album seems to be receiving here. Understandably, anyone expecting any kind of "traditional" anything is going to be left cold and I suspect a lot of people wouldn't give him a second thought if not for his choice of instrument.

I personally love this album even more than I did initially. I think it's bursting with interesting musical ideas, really stretches his conception of harmony and of course the playing is magnificent. I hope it's being appreciated somewhere because I'd love to hear more from him in this style.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ken_P For This Useful Post:

What an incredible talent! I would love to see Chris Thile do a classical mandolin album or something like Howard Frye did with Gypsy Mandolin.

I have listened to his new album a couple times. I will admit like I his previous albums more. You got to admire his mandolin skills. The guy is out of this world good.