Thread: Replacement tuners for 2003 Fender FM-52e?

Default Replacement tuners for 2003 Fender FM-52e?

I've actually just had one of the buttons break on it but finding an exact match I think will be impossible, so I bought a replacement set off amazon, which were not as described, the hole distances weren't as on the schematic posted with the item listing, so now I'm back on the hunt for tuners.

Any help? This a $125 mandolin so I'm looking for something reasonable for the cost of the instrument.

Thanks
    --
    Fender FM-52E (2003)
    Rogue RM-100A (2009)
    The Loar LM-400 w/ Cumberland Acoustics Bridge (05/2010)
    unknown project fake resonator from the 30s-40s.

Default Re: Replacement tuners for 2003 Fender FM-52e?

Post a picture of the current tuners.

There are three things you need to know to replace mandolin tuners:

1. Are they A style or F style?
    2. Are they worm over or worm under configuration.
    3. What is the spacing center to center for the string posts.

You'll need the measurement of the current tuners from post center to post center. The standard size is .906 inches (23.01 mm). The rest we can determine from the picture.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

as far as I can tell by measuring they conform to this schematic (which the item i was shipped by amazon didn't match) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tuners.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	194502

so I assume it's some kind of common form.
    --
    Fender FM-52E (2003)
    Rogue RM-100A (2009)
    The Loar LM-400 w/ Cumberland Acoustics Bridge (05/2010)
    unknown project fake resonator from the 30s-40s.

I wouldn't know without seeing the tuners.

If Amazon shipped the wrong product send it back and check with some of the other suppliers like Stewmac. The images I can find online look like worm under A style tuners but I have no idea if they match yours. It doesn't look like Fender used anything special there.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Another option is simply gluing the broken button back together on the shaft. I did that on my first mandolin and it held for several years before I sold it. For all I know it's still working. Definitely the way to go on a low budget instrument.

Another option is replacing all the buttons. Usually way less cost than new tuning machines. The trick there is knowing what you have - tuner post spacing has been standardized for decades now, but the shaft size and shape varies greatly.

Are the buttons glued on or held on by screws? I've developed a strong dislike for pearloid or metal buttons so over the past couple years I've replaced tuning machines or buttons on 13 instruments. A lot of trial and mistrial involved in measuring shafts, looking up specs, swapping buttons around, etc.

I ended up finding a different seller on amazon with the same schematic drawing and those fit perfectly, then as I was restringing I noticed one of the posts for the G string course didn't have a hole drilled in it to string it. groan. waiting for replacement now.

I tried gluing the button BTW but it didn't work out then the cyano glue made it impossible to mate the two broken pieces again.

We've actually heard about tuners without the post bored before. I'm starting to wonder if it was the same set.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by gauze View Post
    I ended up finding a different seller on amazon with the same schematic drawing and those fit perfectly, then as I was restringing I noticed one of the posts for the G string course didn't have a hole drilled in it to string it. groan. waiting for replacement now.

I tried gluing the button BTW but it didn't work out then the cyano glue made it impossible to mate the two broken pieces again.
    If I had a hole-less roller on a machine I would personally just drill it out and de-burr it. Takes a LOT less time than returning and waiting.

When I fixed my broken Ibanez button I used quick set epoxy, not super glue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    If I had a hole-less roller on a machine I would personally just drill it out and de-burr it. Takes a LOT less time than returning and waiting.
    I might have attempted that if I had a drill press or vise. Drilling into a small rounded piece of steel isn't trivial if you don't have the tools. Maybe I could have ground a flat spot and used some vice grips and free handed a hole without snapping a drill bit or 2 , but I have to work this week and have other mandos to play anyway, so pick your projects ✌️