Thread: Need opinions Gibson Flatiron

Default Need opinions Gibson Flatiron

Thinking about buying a Gibson A model Master Performer. 1999 Made in Nashville.
    I don’t want to get stuck with a bad investment as I am a beginner(on mandolin) and I may get distracted by my guitar and decide to sell it at some point. The price is between 1 and 2k

Default Re: Need opinions Gibson Flatiron

I'm not a Gibson expert but was able to track down 3 or 4 that were sold. Prices ranged between $900-1450.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

Wow, I’d like to snag one for $900! Any idea about sound and quality? (I have not played this one yet)
    Are there better used A models for less money in the 1200 to 1500 range? I have also been looking at vintage A40’s and A50’s
    Last edited by Oldblues; Jun-01-2021 at 10:26am. Reason: Miss a line

I buy musical instruments to play music, not as an investment instrument..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    I appreciate that but I’m new at mandolin and I don’t want to buy something I’ll lose money on if I make a wrong choice. Maybe “investment” was a poor choice of words but technically, everything we spend money on, is an investment of a sort. Thanks for your input.

1 to 2 K is a pretty wide range. But The closer to 1K the better if you are only considering the resale value and want to leave the back door open. Remember condition always plays into the value.
    The prices for used Gibsons has started to climb with the current new retail pricing. Flatiron prices kind of flag behind that, even though in some cases it is the same build of instrument just with a different brand name on it. That is until you get to 1980s " pre Gibson" Flatirons then all bets are off. Currently those 1980s are listing for very strong prices.

Also considering looking for a 50’s A50 or A50. Sounds like I might be better off spending 1500.00 on something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Then why even bother chiming in?

The OP asked for advice, not judgement.

I thought judgement was saved for the Tone-gard, Bluechip, A vs. F style, and Chinese vs. American-made threads..

Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblues View Post
    Wow, I’d like to snag one for $900! Any idea about sound and quality? (I have not played this one yet)
    Are there better used A models for less money in the 1200 to 1500 range? I have also been looking at vintage A40’s and A50’s
    These were just some prices I found on the interwebs. $900 was the cheapest and it had more wear. Some of these prices didn't specify when they sold so it could have been a few years ago. Just gives you a little bit of a reference point.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

1. You're considering buying a very nice mandolin -- if it's in good condition, playable, etc. -- at a decent market price.

B. However, if you're not sure you really want to play mandolin, you might consider getting a good quality student instrument, for perhaps $1K less than your considering spending. While you could probably get most of your purchase price back if you sold the Flatiron, instruments are chancy "investments." Often you find yourself "buying retail, selling wholesale," plus there's the work involved in advertising and selling the instrument. You won't get all your money back on a sub-$300 beginner mandolin, but you won't have a grand or more tied up in it.

iii. $1.5K is not a bargain price on an A-50 from the 1950's. These are decent mandolins; had I to choose one or the other, I'd take the Flatiron.

Just my 2¢.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I thought judgement was saved for the Tone-gard, Bluechip, A vs. F style, and Chinese vs. American-made threads..
    And anything that mentions Chris Thile!

OP, in all seriousness, I think you're on the right track if you want an instrument that you will play for a while and not lose money if you decide to play guitar instead. Used, A-model, is the way to go - Gibson on the headstock also a good decision for your circumstances. This should be a good mandolin - will be a long time before you progress beyond what this instrument can do.

Kirk

I got a Northfield Model M used in the price range you’re describing. Still love my F, but the Northfield is a serious instrument. Easily the best tuning stability of any mando I’ve played, super easy to play, and it’s really loud. If I play well, it sounds pretty great, too.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4