Thread: True Faith by New Order

Default True Faith by New Order

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to Mandolin and still learning a lot. I've been working through Brad Laird's mandolin lessons, which are great. They're also focused on bluegrass, which is also cool, but not the only kind of music I like.

The other night I was listening to True Faith by New Order and thought I could play the chords. I found this site with the lyrics and chords:

https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab...h-chords-55926

It turns out I know those chords and can pretty much play along with the song hitting each chord once on the changes. Which feels pretty good.

Now I'm trying to figure out a strumming pattern and, frankly, I don't know a lot about strumming.

I was thinking of something like a dotted quarter and eight down - up kind of rhythm. But really don't know.

Any advice?

Default Re: True Faith by New Order

Lots of down beats.
    D-D-D-D- D-D- DUDU and the chords can be played from Dm on the seventh fret moving down through to Am on the second fret on a mandolin. And maybe just 1,5 powerchords.

If you already play guitar it can be hard to begin with to think in mandolin...

You could also practice the melody doing mainly one finger slides with a metronome on the whole octave of one string too. D or G string.

Simon,

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I'm playing on a mandolin. I've never played guitar. However, there aren't a lot of mandolin tabs out there for rock/pop music.

It's interesting you suggest Dm on the seventh fret. I'll have to try that.

Right now, I'm doing Dm as a two-finger chord on the 1st and 2nd frets. Actually all my chords are in the first few frets. Am and A are bar (barre?) chords on the second fret that move very easily into a two or three finger C and G on the third fret. Bflat Maj is an easy move from A. I'm finding that keeping it all in those first few frets makes it easier for me to change from one chord to the next cleanly and in time with the music.

Thanks again for the response.

Dm triad plays well on the 2nd fret of the G string, 3rd of the D string, and 5th of the A string. Then for your Bb just move the G string finger up one fret to the 3rd fret. Then play the C on the 3rd fret of the A string and 2nd of the D with open G string. To move that to Am just leave those down and add the 2nd fret of the G string.

Etc...

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lowtone2 For This Useful Post:

With a lot of rock songs, if you’re not playing with a group then you need a good steady and heavy rhythm to support you riffs.
    So you could try double stops moving quickly up and down the neck trying to mimic riffs or parts of melody?
    The double stops are similar shapes but the movement, quick and clean takes a while of metronome slamming!

Of course another problem is that most recent songs have copyright, but there’s always the slowdowner on YouTube...

I really appreciate everyone's feedback!

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post
    . . . If you already play guitar it can be hard to begin with to think in mandolin. . . .
    . . . unless you stand on your head.
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)