Thread: Apps for learning music notation.

Default Apps for learning music notation.

Dear Mando Cafe members,

I am new to Mandolin (started 3 months ago). I am natively from India and my background is in Indian classical music. I am finding learning western sheet music to play on Mandolin a bit difficult.
    My question is are there some apps which helps us in the training?

I am thinking of some app that shows a note in the sheet music and recognises the note when we play it and detects if it is correct or not. (Or something along that line).

Thank you
    Krishnan

Every day is a gift. Sheila Lagrand's Avatar

Default Re: Apps for learning music notation.

Have you done a google search? There are many, many apps revolving around standard notation. I don't know about that particular feature, but if you left a tuner on your mandolin, it would show you whether you were playing the note . . . .
    Phoebe, my 2021 Collings MT mandolin
    Dolly, my 2021 Ibanez M522 mandolin
    Louise, my 193x SS Maxwell mandolin
    Fiona, My 2021 GSM guitar-bodied octave resonator mandolin
    Charlotte, my 2016 Eastman MDO 305 octave mandolin
    And Giuliana, my 2002 Hans Schuster 505 violin, Nehenehe, my 2021 Aklot concert ukulele,
    Annie, my 2022 Guild M-140 guitar, Joni, my 1963 Harmony 1215 Archtone archtop guitar,
    Yoko, my ca. 1963 Yamaha Dynamic No.15 guitar, and Rich, my 1959 husband.

Hello Krishnan,

I am a beginner. I have some suggestions.

1. Find a violin teacher, a live one. They know music theory forward and backward.
    They teach this stuff to 5 year old kids. We don't present much of a challenge.
    They know what a mandolin is. They will correct other things you didn't ask about.
    Their teaching rate is not expensive.

2. There are videos on the www. I watched some of these.
    Violin Viola Masterclass

3. Practice some scales. I have attached the violin fingering chart which is the same
    as a mandolin. I circled in red the notes in the key of D (A,B,C#,D,E,F#,G), which
    is common. I left the credits for the original source of the chart. Practice going up
    and down notes in the the key of D scales. After a few times if you hit a note not in
    the scale you will know right away. You won't need an app to tell you.

4. My teacher would remind me do this in time with a metronome. Start slow and
    gradually increase the speed.

That is my suggestion.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Viola_Fingering_Chart_key_of_D.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	223.9 KB 
ID:	194470
    Thanks,
    sounds_good

I've had some success improving my notation reading with the app called Notes Teacher (iPhone).
    It does have a microphone or keyboard input method, but I usually just use it with the on screen buttons as a practice tool when I am away from the instrument.
    For me that helps as I am much more comfortable with where the notes are on the fretboard than where they are on all those little lines, especially above and below the staff.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Quote Originally Posted by sounds_good View Post
    Hello Krishnan,

I am a beginner. I have some suggestions.

1. Find a violin teacher, a live one. They know music theory forward and backward.
    They teach this stuff to 5 year old kids. We don't present much of a challenge.
    They know what a mandolin is. They will correct other things you didn't ask about.
    Their teaching rate is not expensive.

2. There are videos on the www. I watched some of these.
    Violin Viola Masterclass

3. Practice some scales. I have attached the violin fingering chart which is the same
    as a mandolin. I circled in red the notes in the key of D (A,B,C#,D,E,F#,G), which
    is common. I left the credits for the original source of the chart. Practice going up
    and down notes in the the key of D scales. After a few times if you hit a note not in
    the scale you will know right away. You won't need an app to tell you.

4. My teacher would remind me do this in time with a metronome. Start slow and
    gradually increase the speed.

That is my suggestion.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Viola_Fingering_Chart_key_of_D.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	223.9 KB 
ID:	194470
    Thank you so much for your comment. This chart is really helpful! I will try to find an in person teacher. That will surely be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Egerton View Post
    I've had some success improving my notation reading with the app called Notes Teacher (iPhone).
    It does have a microphone or keyboard input method, but I usually just use it with the on screen buttons as a practice tool when I am away from the instrument.
    For me that helps as I am much more comfortable with where the notes are on the fretboard than where they are on all those little lines, especially above and below the staff.
    Thank you for your reply. I tried this app, it looks it like it is useful. I found also the following apps, Fret Trainer Mandolin and Violin Fingerboard both for Android, along similar lines.