Thread: Gibson A-50 1939 - What do you think?

Default Gibson A-50 1939 - What do you think?

I just bought this Mandolin; https://reverb.com/item/23658776-gib...ntent=23658776

What do you guys think?
    To be honest I’m new to mandolin and this one just spoke to me so I just had to order it haha

I paid 2000€, which seems to be a fair price since it’s in such good condition.

Default Re: Gibson A-50 1939 - What do you think?

That is a wide-body model. Hopefully it came with the case.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

It will arrive tomorrow, I’ll make sure to keep you updated.
    Would it be hard to find a proper case for a wide-body model after the fact?

You get the "Nick Lucas" inlays on the board with this model. I assume that the original celluloid pickguard began to rot- a common occurrence for Gibson mandolins of this era. My A50 is in a 1950s Gibson electric mandolin case which is a bit too wide for it- but I think that is just a little too slim for your mandolin being about 11 inches wide. I imagine that you will have to trek around a few music shops trying out hard cases to get something suitable to keep it in. It certainly looks really good in terms of its condition.

Blog Entries

I've had many of these and a few were really great-one I had was the best, in tone and volume-its hit and miss with these! One can do some modifications to make them better. Your guard is a replica, those wide bodies are very prone to bass and treble F-hole cracks going both ways also! They have great necks I think. Cases for these are super hard to find! Vintage that is! I think they fit in some of those shaped F-5 cases?

The tuners look to be off a late 40's F-5?